Frequent Contributor
Loved the blue so much, but did not order because I felt there was something wrong with that bag. All the bags the girls were carrying looked flawed. They looked as though they were either squished in shipping or not made well. The fronts looked buckled. I have a gorgeous Ferragamo satchel and it is perfection. It has an 8 inch handle and a detachable shoulder strap. As a matter if fact, most of the high end satchels have a little longer handle. There are times you have to put your bag on your shoulder for a few moments like buying something at a counter were you need to hands to look at the merchandise. I find my satchels without that ability not workable, so I never use them. Love the Gili hobos and look forward to the smaller bags that are coming! Love to hear how everyone likes the satchel and if they are indeed beautiful and perfect in person.
Valued Contributor

Re: NEW GILI MADISON SATCHEL?

As a matter of fact, high end designer bags have shorter handles! PRADA has only 5 inch strap drop. This one has 6.
Frequent Contributor

Hi tough kitty, I agree, some high end designers have shorter handles, and that is why I like to find satchels with the 8 inch handle for the reasons I mentioned. I too have a Prada from a good ten years ago and a couple of Escada's recently purchased and there handles are 8 inches. My shorter handle satchels don't work for me because I find them clumsy when I need to use both hands. That of course, is my personal preference. I love, love that blue bag, but will wait to see some reviews first.
Valued Contributor

Yep, the short handle drop seem to be a problem for many ladies, although some claim it's a satchel, so it's not a shoulder bag..... I ordered this one in the blue, so we'll see how it works.... I have D&B Florentine Leather Satchel and it's extremely heavy too - I traveled with it to Europe so I loaded it with stuff and appreciated the strap option, however it's hard to carry a heavy bag on your shoulder anyway....
Honored Contributor

It is a convenience to be able to sling a satchel over the shoulder without using a longer strap often available in addition to the hand held straps. I do it all the time, but oddly prefer a satchel to have 'handles' rather than to have straps. Aesthetically, I just prefer them and I suppose it's a form over function thing with me... I'm more inclined to sling a satchel over my forearm than over my shoulder or to carry it by hand, but there's no denying there are times when it can be less convenient.

I agree BLB that there appeared to be something about the shape of that bag that just didn't somehow jibe. I think it had to do with the thickness required of the triple entry combined with the thickness of the ostrich leather. I ordered anyway and while I tried to cancel, it seems unclear as to whether that worked or not... I got a cancellation message from the Q that was new to me indicating, essentially, it might ship anyway, but either way, I'm happy to look at what appeared to be a very pretty bag before deciding.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

That blue is so gorgeous, it was hard for me to pass up. Hope the bag works out for you both.
Honored Contributor

On 9/13/2014 BLB said: That blue is so gorgeous, it was hard for me to pass up. Hope the bag works out for you both.

Thanks BLB... I actually ordered it in olive and though I tried to cancel, I'm not sure if it's coming or not... If it ships, I'll decide whether to keep it or not after seeing it. I'm almost certain it's a pretty bag, but upon reflection, there are things about it I don't really like so much...

As of yesterday, all colors, including blue, were again available... Had the EP remained, and had I known for sure my earlier cancellation went through, I'd have considered reordering in the port color.

Smile

Valued Contributor

On 9/14/2014 stevieb said:
On 9/13/2014 BLB said: That blue is so gorgeous, it was hard for me to pass up. Hope the bag works out for you both.

Thanks BLB... I actually ordered it in olive and though I tried to cancel, I'm not sure if it's coming or not... If it ships, I'll decide whether to keep it or not after seeing it. I'm almost certain it's a pretty bag, but upon reflection, there are things about it I don't really like so much...

As of yesterday, all colors, including blue, were again available... Had the EP remained, and had I known for sure my earlier cancellation went through, I'd have considered reordering in the port color.

Smile

I don't understand, how can you not know if it was cancelled or not? It should either say cancelled or in process???
Honored Contributor

On 9/14/2014 tough_kitty said:
On 9/14/2014 stevieb said:

Smile

I don't understand, how can you not know if it was cancelled or not? It should either say cancelled or in process???

I tried to cancel it at about noon yesterday and got a message that I'd never seen before that indicated 'cancellation is pending'... It went on to say that because things ship so quickly (ahem...) they weren't sure they could cancel the order and to check order status in a few days... that if it shipped I should call CS for return instructions... Whatever... Anyway, I went in a few minutes later and hit the cancel button again and got a message that the order couldn't be cancelled... It's still saying 'in process'. I'm assuming it'll be shipped, but I honestly don't know... Unless it really wows me, it'll go back. I've decided I just don't like the hardware.

Valued Contributor

Stevie, well that's just weird but keep us posted! I had something weird happen to me too - my turquoise bronze ring was shipped on Friday but the tracking number showed it as delivered to OK in July 2013!!! So I emailed QVC and they fixed it!