Esteemed Contributor

VB is getting into leather bags

Huh, just got an e-mail saying that a new leather line will debut in Sept. Bags are pricey and this is a very competitive market. I hope they won't lose their consumer base. As a former commercial banker, you worry when a sucessful company begins to "diversify".

Leather

Esteemed Contributor

Re: VB is getting into leather bags

Here is a July publication update on the rationale:

Vera Bradley, fine purveyor of every quilted paisley bag your mom owns, has decided to branch out into leather (and faux-leather) to try and attract the younger crowds."We tend to lose the Vera Bradley girl a little bit right out of the college, but when she gets married and has children, we get her back again," founder Barbara Bradley Baekgaard told WWD. "It's that range from 21 to 30that is our target with this."

The leather styles will come in black, taupe and burnt orange and range from$98 to $298 while the faux leather bags will come in more vibrant shades like fuchsia, green and cobalt and will run between $24 and $138. From the looks of the campaign's first ad the leather bags will still be mostly quilted, and the old bags will still be kept in circulation. "We do not plan to walk away from the prints," said Bradley Baekgaard. "That is truly our heritage and I think we do it really well."

My humble opinion:

If I am going in that direction at that price range: I am going faux at Brighton or pick up one of their gorgeous leather bags with the distinctive Brighton accents.

Brighton: the other "VERA" collection

Respected Contributor

I hate that quilted look. Looks old lady even though I am old lady! LOL JMO

Honored Contributor

I don't see the 21-30 crowd carrying this particular bag.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/4/2014 mima said:

I hate that quilted look. Looks old lady even though I am old lady! LOL JMO

I am an old lady too and I think the leather quilted bags look too fussy and stuffy. I do like the VB solid microfiber and I got the raisin triple zip hipster. I like quilting in microfiber; looks more modern in an updated style.

Respected Contributor

Hi Cindy, I totally agree with you. The microfiber looks much better. I think it is because it isn't puffy.

I actually own a black microfiber quilted crossbody. I like it.

Just not the puffy stuff!

Honored Contributor

Their leather and faux leather look like Coach knock offs I think I will stay with the real thing

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Regular Contributor

On 9/4/2014 brii said:

I don't see the 21-30 crowd carrying this particular bag.

ITA! I don't like this new look at all. If I'm going to spend that much on a bag, I will buy a Dooney. I'm not an expert, but in my opinion this is a bad decision. Vera Bradley is known for their prints. I also think that they came out with new patterns too often and too many styles that didn't seem to go over too well. They should have focused on cutting back on new prints each year instead of changing the entire look and adding a whole new line.

Occasional Contributor

How many 21-30 year olds can afford a $298 leather bag? I stopped in at my signature store yesterday and they took out a large chest and filled that spot with more shelving. But what was odd to me was the shelves looked more bare than usual. There wasn't much product on them. I know they are scaling back on new patterns and styles. Maybe they will be filling it up with the leather purses. I also agree about the quilted leather. Not a fan but I do own one black microfiber purse and like it.
Respected Contributor

They need to do something.....ever since they got away from the classy prints that they used to do, it's become a pop art parade of garish colors and prints that I wouldn't carry across the street....I swear Yellow Bird was the last sophisticated print they did.