Esteemed Contributor

Why are we so crazy about handbags? Especially Dooney & Bourke...

I spend a certain amount of time (to be honest, every day) trolling all the retail and discount websites just looking at handbags. Then I check this discussion site at least 3X a day. My husband said just this morning: don't you ever get tired of it? Well....No !!

Now that I am retired (No. Ca.), I have really no good justification for acquiring a new handbag. Plus I am petite and have neck and shoulder issues. Hasn't really slowed me down much. I just check the weight and click, I'm all set.

I used to have a "power job" in San Francisco and that was a great way to justify purchases. I bought sharp looking business suits, good jewelry, great bags and shoes. Now I toodle around in Chico's and Sketchers GoWalks and some fun Brighton necklaces.

I still love make-up and skin care, but that is a limited results return on a 62 year old face. Josie Maran. Laura Geller, and Trish M take care of me. A spritz of some L'Occitane citrus frag and I am good to go. Except:

It takes me 30 minutes in the morning to put on my face and get dressed. It takes me 20 minutes to rummage thru my closet shelves to find the "handbag du jour". They all have their little dust bags on and yelling "Take Me, Take Me, Pick Me". All this just to go to the grocery store, Kaiser, lunch with pals, or whoooo-hooo Girl's Night Out once a month.

I wonder what a therapist would make of all this. My husband is kind of hinting maybe I should go and find out. The UPS guy slows down automatically at my corner because he is pretty sure I have something in his truck.

I think I like handbags because they speak volumes about you without saying a word, reflect your style and the image you want to project. Even if you are having a really bad day, you want to pretend that you are feeling up to the task of facing the world.

Opening that handbag and seeing your whole life in neat little compartments is very comforting. For just a moment in time, you are back in control.

And, in some cases, your handbag is smiling back at you.

Dooney & Bourke Florentine Leather Twist Strap Hobo Bag - A231438

Respected Contributor

Re: Why are we so crazy about handbags? Especially Dooney & Bourke...

Hi Cindy: you are not alone. Lots of handbag lovers here and we understand.... we share your love of handbags. I just finished the week long process of switching my handbags from summer to fall. I have more handbags that I need. Yet, I spend time on handbag forums and contemplate my next purchase.... as soon as the sale price is good enough. Wink

Trusted Contributor

I'm a Dooney girl all the way. I carry nothing else and haven't for years.

Dooney reflects my style.

From satchels to totes to drawstrings, I have them, I wear them and I love them!!

Respected Contributor

For wome women it's handbags, others is jewelry, clothing, shoes yet others enjoy things like home decorating and crafts or cooking. Don't think there's a set answer to your question. It's just that we are all different and enjoy different things.

Men are the same but with them it's mostly sports, tools, cars, guitars, etc.

I don't try to figure it all out. I just partake in what brings me happines. Whatever brightens your day.Smile

Honored Contributor

For many years I owned a black bag for 3 seasons, and a tan one for summer.

Then I went crazy and now have one in every color...and a few extra in red!

Then something switched off - I now I have no interest whatsoever in bags. I sold a lot at Clothes Mentor...gave a bunch to Goodwill - even a Coach bag and some Dooneys that Clothes Mentor didn't want (signature fabric)...

I don't want to buy any more bags....I have more than enough to last me forever.

I think I came to that realization when I noticed I carry the same two bags over and over - nylon chevron Coach bags from about 3 years ago or so. I have a LV large Speedy and a LV black Alma - I don't use them anymore either, but I am hanging on to them as relics from my Bag Frenzy Years.

I get more enjoyment now from scouting out estate sales and getting good buys....things I can re-purpose and re-use.

Respected Contributor

I love them too. {#emotions_dlg.blushing} It's safest for me to add them to my cart and think about it overnight, so I can avoid purchasing them . In the morning, I always realize that I have no need for another. It gives me the thrill of "almost" buying every really nice expensive leather handbag that I come across.

Honored Contributor

On 9/1/2014 skuggles said:

I love them too. {#emotions_dlg.blushing} It's safest for me to add them to my cart and think about it overnight, so I can avoid purchasing them . In the morning, I always realize that I have no need for another. It gives me the thrill of "almost" buying every really nice expensive leather handbag that I come across.

That's a great idea!

Honored Contributor

Huh????
Frequent Contributor

I am sympathy with you , I check dooney sales every night and also this forum. I own some many dooney handbags that I just pack 3 boxes full of handbags some are new I am selling them online. I still have some new handbags new in my closet for maybe 3 years ago. I just switch handbags today from Domed toledo to the small pocket cross body portofino that I order back in 2011 never use. Crazy I have no eyes for any other brand addicted to dooney since 1999

A214336 - Dooney & Bourke Portofino Leather Mini Pocket Sac

Valued Contributor

It's called an addiction. Smiley Wink at least, it's not harmful to anyone else but perhaps your credit cards... lol. The main reason I'm not THAT addicted to handbag shopping....yet.....