Trusted Contributor

Saffiano Leather, Pebbled Leather?

Are you a fan; yes or no?

I like different looks, variety, and I really like both.

I had a discussion with a friend today. She says she's an unapologetic leather purist and snob. To her, whether it's the case or not, both of these leather treatments look cheap. Like the company used an inferior leather, treated it to hide that it was not a great leather and then tried to convince customers that they were buying something special.

Curiously, at least it's curious to me, because, LOL, shes such a nitpick, she doesn't have a problem, per se, with signature fabrics. She said some are ugly, but, she's also seen many that are lovely, it's an individual thing.

I guess different tastes make the world go around; what do you think?

Valued Contributor

Re: Saffiano Leather, Pebbled Leather?

Wow, she said pebbled leather is cheap??? I thought it's the most common leather and I actually happen to LOVE it. To me that's the leather that actually looks "real"..... I am not a fan of saffiano - that looks and feels like plastic to me. Didn't like the toledo leather on D&B bag either.....Florentine leather is nice....but I like pebble leather the most and don't agree with your friend but everyone is entitled to their opinion Smile

Honored Contributor

I'm not a leather snob and I like all kinds of leather, though I'm increasingly not a fan of suede bags. When I want a sueded texture, I actually prefer nubuck, but because of the really seasonal nature, don't prioritize either. I like pebble leather and I also like Saffiano quite a bit, as I like the texture and the easy maintenance. I also like the Dooney Toledo leather, which is sort of a glazed leather. There are numerous kinds of leather out there and I can't say I turn my nose up at most of them... While I will agree that some logo fabrics are appealing, the vast majority of them don't do much for me and as far as them being a dime a dozen, well... I guess it's all a matter of individual preference!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I like pebbled leather... it's very durable and looks nice. I also like smooth leathers, as long as they are 'real leather' and not reconstituted or bonded. In general, I don't care for saffiano leather. Which is interesting, because I have a saffiano leather bag from decades ago, and I liked it then and I still like it now. So maybe it depends on how the treat the leather and the style of the handbag.

I should also add that there is a big difference in the quality of leather, whether smooth or pebbled, etc. from one handbag to another, even within the same brand. Not all Dooney pebbled leather is the same, for example. And even in the Florentine line... some of the leather is smooth and some is pebbled.

As for companies trying to 'market' so we will buy something.... of course they do... whether it's color or style or type of leather. Why would people pay $$$$$ for a coated fabric handbag with leather trim unless they wanted the brand logo because they were convinced it was 'a good thing' to have. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}Personally, I don't care for signature fabrics. Wink

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Honored Contributor

I have a small cross-body Saffiano leather bag. If I had not not bought it myself, you could not convince me that it's not vinyl. Even the texture feels like vinyl. Why handbag makers aspire to take good leather and make it look like plastic is beyond me. It's a really cute bag though.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

Both are gorgeous, right now I am on a Saffiano kick myself and have purchased 3 bags in that type of leather. It is really durable and sturdy it doesn't have a stiff feeling to it but it holds itself well. Plus it is scratch resistant which is great! Michael Kors and Tory Burch do a nice Saffiano line.

Occasional Contributor

Both are gorgeous, right now I am on a Saffiano kick myself and have purchased 3 bags in that type of leather. It is really durable and sturdy it doesn't have a stiff feeling to it but it holds itself well. Plus it is scratch resistant which is great! Michael Kors and Tory Burch do a nice Saffiano line.

Occasional Contributor

I think both leathers are great. Only the real saffiano/pebbled leather don't look cheap to me. They're actually the kind of leather I only prefer. I'm not really a leather snob either but as long as the material is actual leather I'd pick it over any ""leather bag"". People do have different tastes (and personalities).