Frequent Contributor

Dooney Trade In......How to?

Please help me trade in my Dooney by telling me how to do this...... thanks so very muchSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Dooney Trade In......How to?

I did this many, many years ago but it's probably basically the same. I bought a D & B at a thrift store, it was in pretty rough shape but I thought they could spruce it up a bit. I found their phone number an called asking what I needed to do to send mine in (you can probably find a contact phone number on their website). I then packaged it up and sent it to the addy they gave me. (I'm sure if you call their number they will also give you the addy). I heard back from them in a couple of weeks but unfortunately my bag was "too damaged" to regair, BUT they offered me the same style in any color I wanted for half the price of a new one! That was my first Designer bag! It was their large Speedy style and I chose Navy. I still have that bag and I still love it and treat it carefully! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Because of this, I've been a Dooney customer since that day forward ......

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

Go to www.dooney.com. They have an 800 number, best to call, confirm where to mail and let them know what you have. Then mail and insure to them with a letter of what is in the box, address, etc. in about a week or so they will send you a formal letter of acceptance with a return confirmation number. They will give you half of the retail price. You must use the credit on Dooney.com for a bag or accessories that are at least twice the amount of your credit. And, you must use it within 30 days of getting the letter. So, I recommend that you look on the site, have something in mind before you send your bag in. Good luck, I've done it a number of times.
Contributor

Go to the D&B site and do an online chat and get the address to send your items. I just sent three handbags about two weeks ago. D&B will send you a letter for each item you send. On the letter will be a number you need to give them in order to purchase your new item.

When Dooney receives your bags, they give each one a credit amount to use towards a new item. For example, two of my handbags received a credit of $147.50. I must now purchase two items for at least $295.00. Nothing needs to be "wrong" with the item. If you are tired of the style, want a leather instead of cloth or need a new travel bag...this is a good enough reason for them.

You must make your new purchase through customer service, and give the numbers on the letters they sent you, within 30 days of them receiving your items.

Now that I have tried the program, I am sick that I sold some D&B handbags through a consignment shop and received $32.00 or less per bag. Actually, sending back a bag to D&B is a better deal, since they give you a credit of 1/2 of the original retail price of the handbag. You can send 6 items per year to D&B. Hope this helps.

N

Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much for your help ladies, love these forums............

Honored Contributor

To our experienced D&B trade-in forum friends: Does the Dooney you are trading in have to be purchased from a retail store or from Dooney.com -- or can you send them a Dooney made specifically for QVC or a Dooney purchased at one of the Dooney & Bourke outlet stores? I wonder if they take all D&B bags, regardless of where they are purchased?

Super Contributor

According to the information I received when I used the trade in program they DESTROY the bag you send in. I only sent mine because it had nail polish spilled in the zipper and down the interior and there was no way I was going to be able to get it all out.

Mine was a melon colored satchel exclusive to QVC. It was discontinued or I would have purchased another just like it (with my own funds) but I ended up with a red satchel from the Dooney site instead using my credit.

I would never send a perfectly good bag in to be destroyed. I'd rather sell it.

Valued Contributor

I wonder if they end up reselling the returned bags on QVC {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Seems really odd for them to have this kind of trade off option but I like it! Will definitely take advantage of it when I'm sick of my logo lock bag, hahaha Wink

Thank you, ladies, for the detailed explanation of the process! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Respected Contributor

Below is from their website under FAQ'S

The Dooney & Bourke Repair/Replacement Program
Repairs: After the initial year covered by our guarantee, we will gladly repair any Dooney & Bourke bag or accessory that has become damaged or worn. Repair costs vary, depending on the condition of the item, but will not exceed half of the current retail price for that particular style. Once we receive an item for repair, we will inspect the item, advise you of repair costs (via mail, allow 1-2 weeks) and request your approval before any repair work takes place. If your bag or accessory is beyond repair or if repair costs exceed half of the current retail price you will be eligible for a replacement.

Replacements: If an item is beyond repair, or if the repair costs exceed half of the current retail price, you have the option of having it replaced. You will be offered credit for half the current retail price of that item to apply toward a replacement item of equal or greater value. We will try to accommodate all replacement requests to your full satisfaction, however, it is not our policy to replace an item from a specific collection with another item from one of the following collections/styles: watches, coats, sweaters, scarves, hats, gloves and shoes, Internet specials and the new IT collection. Please note: The original item will not be returned to you. Once you have authorized a replacement, this item will be destroyed.

Processing: To repair or replace an item please return it to our factory with your name, address, and phone number (day and evening) via insured mail or UPS. Be sure to include a description of the repair / replacement needed. Allow 1-2 weeks for a written response and 4-6 weeks time for your requested repair and / or replacement.

Dooney & Bourke, Inc.
Att: Return Department
1 Regent Street
E. Norwalk, CT 06855

If you have any questions please contact our Customer Service Department:
(800) 347-5000

Super Contributor

That's right Sunshine Kate. It's a courtesy program designed for those who have damaged bags NOT a promotional program or another way to order when you're just 'sick' of the bag you already own.