Valued Contributor

Dooney & Bourke Florentine Leather Tassel Satchel - what's with the straps!?

I was really excited about this bag. I loved my 1st DB logo lock and this was going to be my second DB - more suitable for my trip to Europe in 2 weeks.....

Well, I received this bag today and really liked the bag. I was a bit surprised by its size because I was expecting the bag to be bigger. I have no idea why some reviews classify it as huge..... but I can live with the size......however, I'm not sure I can live with those straps!!!!!! They are so ridiculously thin and cheap looking!!!!!

I'm not sure what to do....return or keep it?? I am too annoyed with those straps every time I try to put the bag on my shoulder.....so not sure the bag is worth $325 + tax.... guess I'd have to eat the shipping costs Smiley Sad $30 down the drain....

Respected Contributor

Re: Dooney & Bourke Florentine Leather Tassel Satchel - what's with the straps!?

If it bothers you, return the handbag. There are other handbags with different style straps. A lot of Dooney handbags are made for either shoulder wear or to be hand held. These tend to have thinner straps. But they are not comfortable for those who want a shoulder bag.

Valued Contributor

Re: Dooney & Bourke Florentine Leather Tassel Satchel - what's with the straps!?

Well, I do love the look of this bag so I'm considering getting this style.... however, I'm a shoulder bag kind of girl so I'm afraid I'd hate carrying this one crossbody plus it seems to look bulky this way?? And again this strap seems to be too thin but some say you can double wrap it somehow and carry the bag over the shoulder?

http://www.qvc.com/Dooney-&-Bourke-Florentine-Leather-Satchel-with-Removable-Strap.product.A215826.h...

Respected Contributor

tough kitty: just my opinion, and I don't generally carry a shoulder bag or cross body bag, but I think the bag you picked will be uncomfortable as a shoulder bag. It's a heavy bag, over 3 lbs, and that's empty. Add your stuff and it will be even heavier. The detachable shoulder strap is thin, so I can't see it being comfortable for everyday wear, even doubled. I also think the bag has a wide enough base that if the strap would doubled (if that is even possible) it would be uncomfortable under the arm.

The most comfortable shoulder bags are the ones with thick straps, like the logo lock hobo . Look for soft leather bags with wide straps, made for carrying on the shoulder. Also look at the Florentine Kingston hobo and the Toggle Sac hobo A219915. All of these handbags have much thicker shoulder straps. Check out the Dooney site to see other styles, like the Annalisa hobo which is a smaller version of the Logo Lock on Q and has an outside pocket.

Valued Contributor

lavenderjunkie: Thank you so much for your input. It is greatly appreciated...and I have to agree with you! This is my concern as well - the size of that satchel...The bag should be available at my local Macy's store so I am planning to check it out tonight after work.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I already have the DB Logo Lock bag and I love it, and I have the newest GILI vintage leather hobo as well, so that's plenty of that specific style for me.

I am trying to find a bag with zipped closure (for safety) and of a good size, so it's practical to travel with on my trip to Europe....in 2 weeks!

I am actually having the Dooney & Bourke Dillen Leather Chelsea Shopper with Tan Trim (A236531) delivered tomorrow and I HOPE I like it...although as you said - it also seems to be too big and weird to carry over the shoulder.....but women do have it and do wear it this way, so maybe it's not such a big deal??

I also like the bag you suggested - Dooney & Bourke Florentine Leather Kingston Hobo (A236527) but I can't afford charging another $400 on my credit card at the moment and it's not on easy pay....Maybe it will be on sale at the factory store....Just got an email this morning about 65% off sale...but the closest store to me is 1.5hrs away so I will try calling them and see what they have before I make the trip!

I was trying to find a nice more shaped bag, in which I can carry stuff like a legal paper size folder and maybe a textbook since I will be getting another degree in fall...My classes are online but I want to have a bag which would give me an option to carry a textbook...maybe the bag I am getting tomorrow will be the solution! We shall see....

Again, thank you for your input. Any more feedback is greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

Oh, and I did try to carry my bags in the crook of my arm for a little bit and I REALLY don't see how some women find it comfortable! It explains why they complain about the bags being too heavy! I really don't care if it's heavy if I carry it over my shoulder.

Respected Contributor

Kitty: good luck in your handbag hunt. I have a Dillen shopper, not the same one you ordered and it's very useful. It does work over the shoulder and Dillen leather handbags hold up well to use.

Valued Contributor

Thank you. I just came back from Macy's and well, I did purchase that Florentine Satchel in chestnut .....however, it was a pre-sale so I can cancel my purchase if I want to or I can always return the bag later if I decide I don't like it.....but they have select colors 25% off!!! But I will have to go back on 4/30 to pick it up.

They also had that Chelsea Shopper I'm getting tomorrow but in a different color and I didn't like it!!! It looks too square, the strap is very thin and I think it would have looked much better without the strap but with longer handles!!!

The Florentine Satchel is beautiful.....but I do agree, it would look bulky with a shorter strap but I think it looks ok crossbody if worn more to the side....and should be good for traveling....but I'd have to try it out when I get it home....at least I have no shipping costs! Looks like with qvc I will be $50 down the drain for shipping costs since I'll be returning 2 bags Smiley Sad(((

Also, I'm planning to drive to the DB outlet store this Sat because they are supposed to have up to 65% off so I'm hoping to find something better there! It's a 1.5 hr trip each way but I might call in advance and ask what they have....

Respected Contributor

tough kitty: have fun at the outlet. Hope you find many treasures at great prices.

Valued Contributor

On 4/25/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

tough kitty: have fun at the outlet. Hope you find many treasures at great prices.

Thank you but I just called them and they don't have any of my choices on sale so I decided not to go there this time.

Got my Chelsea Shopper today and I actually like it in sand/black....although not sure if I like it for $346 but I got it on easy pay so I might just keep it... it came in a dust bag so it was probably a return but it looks like new.

Honored Contributor

A lot of the Dooney bags have very masculine looking handles. I don't know why.