Honored Contributor

A question for D&B handbag owners...

These questions may seem odd...perhaps a tad OCD? {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Now I know there are many handbag owners that will buy more than one of a particular style/bag...different colors when they really like the style and it works for them.

Is there anyone who has either considered or bought 2 of the SAME bag in the SAME color...because you liked it SOOOO much, that you wanted a spare just in case it either wore out, damaged, got lost (*bites my tongue*), etc?

I am actually considering it...

I do buy a spare in the same color of a few things from time to time...like a top, or a pair of pants...but not a handbag!

If this was a much less expensive bag, it would be no big deal really. However, it's the most expensive bag I own! The practical side of me says I'm crazy since these bags will last a lifetime if taken care of...

The other side of me wants to make sure I have a back up...just in case...because I LOVE the bag that much...

Oh my...someone please tell me I am not alone {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

I keep telling myself...I'm in my 50's, and if the bag lasts 20 yrs, by them I should have moved on to using all my other bags before I croak...so to speak {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I love all my bags I have of D&B and just didn't expect to love my most recent purchase as much as I do...no joke!

Do I need an intervention...a 10-step program? {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Respected Contributor

Re: A question for D&B handbag owners...

Susan Louise:

I don't think you are in need of an intervention. I do the same thing once in a while with shoes. If you really like the bag, and have the disposable money, go ahead and get a second one, even if it is the same color.

Of course, one you get the backup one and store it carefully away after opening it upon receiving it you can change your mind and give it to someone else as a present.

Happy spring! Life's too short to second guess yourself on a purchase like this, as long as it doesn't strap you for cash for something more essential in your life.

Aroc

Honored Contributor

I've done that with shoes but never with handbags and certainly not with a good bag. If you treat a good quality, well made, leather bag nicely; it will never wear out. You'll get tired of it before it wears out. So, for me, there would be no point in buying a spare. Also, handbag styles change and my taste changes. The bag I lived in and loved 10 years ago....wouldn't interest me today.

Valued Contributor

I would buy duplicates of other items but not two identical handbags as I think the chance of something happening to a handbag are miniscule. They're also very prone to the whims of fashion and few styles are really classic.

However, if you really love it and are seriously worried about losing/damaging it, I would wait at least a year before considering a duplicate purchase. Something that seems like a favorite today might not be your first choice next April.

Super Contributor

I don't do it for handbags but will sometimes buy 2 of the same lipstick shade if I really like the color.
Honored Contributor

On 4/15/2014 Pagan said:

I would buy duplicates of other items but not two identical handbags as I think the chance of something happening to a handbag are miniscule. They're also very prone to the whims of fashion and few styles are really classic.

However, if you really love it and are seriously worried about losing/damaging it, I would wait at least a year before considering a duplicate purchase. Something that seems like a favorite today might not be your first choice next April.

I think that is one of the reasons it is making it hard for me not to get a spare...because it is a classic style and not a trend...like the chevron print (as an example). The bag I'm talking about is the florentine satchel with pockets I got in black. To me, it is so classic that I could see myself carrying it 32+ yrs ago in high school, in my 20's, 30's and 40's too. Also, I didn't expect to like it nearly as much as I do...even being a 'heavy' bag by most, I really don't find it a burden, but a pleasure to carry! It is also so organized too...can even fit my readers in one of the front pockets!!!

The other reason is knowing that the style is being discontinued. I think if I knew this bag would be around for another year or two, I wouldn't even be thinking like I am about this bag...sigh.

You and Chrystaltree are probably right and I may not like it as much X # of years from now...or will I be carrying it in my 70's?

.......................................................................................

Thanks everyone for posting. I think I can now "let go" of getting the 2nd bag {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Valued Contributor

Ah yeah, I have that very bag in both brown and black so I know what you mean!

But no, I wouldn't repurchase that one. I think there will always be something comparable and it's too early to know how this will stand the test of time.

I only have one bag that I would duplicate. It's from the late 80s and I can't imagine being without it. In fact, when I look at photos, I don't think I ever am without it! That was discontinued decades ago but I'd be on Ebay like a shot and pay over the odds if anything happened to mine.

Honored Contributor

I'm a buy-one-in-every-color kind of girl. If I find a style I love I don't go looking for another style just because I want/need a new color bag. I stick with what works.

Honored Contributor

I've been known to do it, but I'm SO not a role model where setting limits on handbags in concerned... And... I'm more inclined to add the same bag in different colors, but even that's going to have to change. I do, after all, want to retire at SOME point!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

I've never done it but have thought about doing it. Knowing that it will be discontinued does add some pressure.

I like the idea a previous poster had: If you ever find yourself regretting the purchase of the second one, you can always give a loved one a wonderful gift. Or...turn it back in to Dooney for credit and get something else.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do .Smile