Esteemed Contributor

Advice, please, on where to purchase inexpensive handbag for my 78 y.o. aunt

Hello Everyone,

Last month I flew back east for the funeral of an uncle. When my last remaining aunt on that side of the family arrived, she spotted me and sat down next to me in the chair we had reserved for her. I knew her financial situation wasn't great, but was so sad to see the handbag she carried was literally falling apart. I want to replace it (brown) and also purchase her a black one we well. Those are the two colors she carries most often. However, she will only carry handbags that to me look rather old fashioned in stying, having straps for the arm, are vinyl/plastic and aren't large. By today's standards I'd consider her handbag small.

Do you think WalMart would be a good place to look? Other than that I'm clueless, as I spend major money on my handbags and have since I got out of college eons ago.

Would appreciate any help you could provide. Thanks so much.

~Rebecca

Respected Contributor

Re: Advice, please, on where to purchase inexpensive handbag for my 78 y.o. aunt

Have you thought about looking at Kohls? Just visited the website, myself, earlier today and there is a good selection...many bags on sale. Also, they are offering the "spend $50 and get $10 Kohl's cash" right now.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice, please, on where to purchase inexpensive handbag for my 78 y.o. aunt

I actually like Target's purses, perhaps Kohl's as well.

Super Contributor

You could also try Penneys. I think Walmart handbags are not the best choice.

Honored Contributor

You can find reasonably priced handbags absolutely everywhere. Finding an under $40 bag is the easy part. I think the hard part might be in finding a bag that she'll like and that will work for her. She might be strapped for cash and she might be elderly but she's still a human being, an adult woman; you can't assume she'll like a bag just because you like it. My mom passed away in her mid 80's as did sister and I remember how particular they both were about their handbags. I can tell you that after the ladies passed away, we had to find good homes for all those lovely handbags that we'd given them for birthdays, Christmas's, Mother's Days....bags they raved over when they opened the boxes.....and never carried. Before you shop for a bag for her, find out what she wants and needs in a bag. The older women get, the more particular they get about their handbags.

Respected Contributor

I don't do Kohls because their store here is so dismal. However I have found Target bags to work and last pretty well. My favorite place, though, is Marshall's (and T.J. Maxx). Both have nicer bags - good brand names at reasonable prices. You'll recognize some of them. Also Ross has nice bags sometimes - not all of them are wonderful, but you can find some good buys there at times.

I also want to say you're a wonderful niece to care for this aunt. I know she'll appreciate what you do for her. A special thought on your part. Good luck with your hunt.

BTW, I'll be 80 in August, so I understand how much your thoughtfulness will mean to her.

Honored Contributor

How about giving us a detailed description? Height/length/width, zippered, outside pockets...even price range. I've found this forum to be extremely helpful by giving you many different choices.

Trusted Contributor

Online there are a couple of sites like 6 PM dot com often has cute things at a really reduced price compared to the retail sale value. Big Buddah is a cute brand they often sell at way less. Designer Imports has cute bags too.

Trusted Contributor

Travelon has some nice ones, and they are light weight & practical!
Respected Contributor

Penney's usually has a good selection of decent bags at a good price. Or T.J. Maxx if you have one close.