Frequent Contributor
Well this probably never hapened to anyone else but I need advice! As you can see by my name I am a new grandmother with the most darling little grand daughter that was ever born, her name is Violet. I watch her during the week so her parents can work. She is 18 months old and a sweet well mannered baby, but even the best children are tiny tornadoes at this age. We went to the store with my friend and when we got home my friend and I were talking while Violet played with my purse on the kitchen floor. I scooped it up and put it out of her reach after a few minutes and then we went out to play in the yard. When we came back in, I went to clean her up , I had left a little bit of soapy water in the sink from this morning, and I looked down and saw my Dooney wallet FLOATING in the sink. My husband has told me a thousand times don't leave water in the sink. It is the 1975 multi continental clutch, in black on black. I have no idea how it got in there but I do have a person of interest. It was waterlogged. I dried it off and the outside looks pretty good but the inside is sooooo wet. Is it leather or faux? It's going to take a long time to dry out. I can hear your collective gasp from here. Is there anything I should do? I love that wallet I have the satchel and the wristlet that matches. I swear if its ruined I am going to replace it.
Honored Contributor

There isn't much you can do except let it dry naturally. No hair driers or warm ovens. It'll probably be stiff when it dries so I'd find a rich leather conditioner to soften it. You could also call Dooney and ask for their advice.

Hmmm, I wonder who the person of interest could be?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Dry it out well- open it all up. you can use warm- not hot- a blow dryer on it. I would set it in the sun or a warm dry place for a couple of days. Then use a leather conditioner on it.

You can't hurt it at this stage. Good luck!!

ps- we are expecting our first grandchild in July- cannot wait!!!!!

Frequent Contributor
Thanks to both of you, I do have some leather conditioner I can use in about 6 years when it dries. Wadzlla you are going to have so much fun. I can't even remember our own kids being so darling and wonderful. I never thought I would like being a Mimi, I thought it would make me feel old. I absolutely love taking care of her and she makes me feel young again. I guess I will switch to my Ivy Florentine medium zip around while I'm waiting, and anyways it's almost time to break out the paint splatter satchel and wallet.
Contributor

Hi!

Your wallet is coated cotton (the 1975 signature line) not leather (the trim is leather). I would proceed very carefully with both heat and leather conditioner on her as she dries out. The best thing to do might be to call Dooney CS and see what they recommend for softening the fabric when she is completely dry.

Congratulations on your grandbabies, everyone!

Sue

Super Contributor

Put it outside in the sun. That's how I dry everything.

Honored Contributor

I would just let it air dry, however long it takes. Does it really matter. If dries hard and crunchy, try softening it with a leather condition. Or perhaps some vaseline. The worst has already happened.

Frequent Contributor
Lay it flat and cover it with rice. Be sure to move the rice around a couple of times a day to keep circulating dry rice onto it. I dropped a Florentine in a puddle...then stepped on it. I'm pretty sure most of the water damage came from my tears at that point. It took several days of the rice to dry it. Is it perfect? No, is it still beautiful and functional? Yes
Frequent Contributor
Thanks, it actually dried in a few days by leaving it open to air dry. The inside is leather, and it is a bit stiff. The coated cotton part and the zippers look like nothing ever hapened to it, still perfect. I'm pretty impressed, just another reason to love the Dooney coated cotton.