Respected Contributor
Marybeth when you tell people they can "use" a bag for three or four weeks and then send it back if it isn't what they wanted, you are inviting return abuse. And "use" is Marybeth's exact word she used on the florentine letter carrier that was presented about 6:40.
Esteemed Contributor

That's how she gets people to spend over $300 for a purse.

Respected Contributor

She's informing the public of QVC's 30-day guarantee. I don't think it's her intent to invite return abuse.

Honored Contributor

Well, as someone who has 'used' a bag for (maybe 2 weeks) yes, even Dooney, and then sent it back, I guess I'm one of those people.

I have a 'bad' back. I've had many procedures done over the course of 12 years. You have no idea. Since I can't judge the size and how heavy and if it fits over my chunky shoulders, I sometimes order the purse.

Sometimes it's a matter of , "Will this work. Can I manage to carry it"? I don't go out every day, so it takes a couple of days out.

If it is something like a Dooney purse, I never register it (that way whomever gets it can send it in.

I do walk around with it and try it out. The Hosts can stand up there and say the weight, the drop and so on. However, until I put it on, wear it out to the Drs or stores I'm not sure it will work.

I can't speak for others but I will say that one reason I shop at QVC (other than the fact that it is convenient) I can try something out and if it doesn't work, return it.

I return whatever it is in the packaging it came in, exactly as it was received except the stuffing in the purse.

If QVC sells it as used or however they word it, the person who buys any of my returns gets a bargain because it is as if it is new.

Clothing is returned the next day.

I don't know what other people do, I'm telling you what I do.

Respected Contributor
Yes I realize it is a sales strategy. But it is one thing to have a thirty day return policy unused. And it is quite another to encourage people to use a bag and then return it. I sure don't want somebody's used returned bag. If I return a bag it hasn't gone out of my house. I think they need to rethink how the terms of the 30-day return period are implemented. Which apparently is unconditional. And I do think there are people that would hear this and say ok then I will get this bag use it for several weeks. And all it costs me is return shipping. Of course if you do it excessively you might get ""the letter"".
Respected Contributor
On 4/6/2014 Shawnie said: Yes I realize it is a sales strategy. But it is one thing to have a thirty day return policy unused. And it is quite another to encourage people to use a bag and then return it. I sure don't want somebody's used returned bag. If I return a bag it hasn't gone out of my house. I think they need to rethink how the terms of the 30-day return period are implemented. Which apparently is unconditional. And I do think there are people that would hear this and say ok then I will get this bag use it for several weeks. And all it costs me is return shipping. Of course if you do it excessively you might get "the letter".

I don't know. What good would a 30-day unused policy be. Why would you keep it for 30 days if you can't use it. There will always be people who take advantage of this type of policy. If I get a bag home, I know the minute I look at it and handle it if I like it or not. I don't remove the tags and I don't use it if I know I am returning it.

I wonder if QVC could keep track of the people who abuse this policy. Not the people that buy and return but the people that buy, use the item to death and then return it.

Honored Contributor

Hey, that's their policy. She's just moving the goods... What they need to address is what happens with bags actually used for thirty days and then returned...

Wink

Sell them as-is if they want, but they shouldn't be sent back out as new.

A bag returned immediately and clearly not used is something altogether different but then that would require that someone actually inspect returns and all indications are that isn't always the case.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I just read last week where someone had carried three bags in a row for weeks each. It is to the point I won't order a bag unless its new, no matter who makes it. Same for apparel and appliances. I've just had it with a returns department that won't screen this used stuff out. They can't even seem to screen returned defects out.

Honored Contributor
Mary Beth didn't do/say anything wrong in my opinion. I think QVC should screen returns, and if an item is not in pristine condition either send it to an outlet, or sell "as is." They should never send used items as new. I for one have received used items from QVC through the years, and it is very disappointing.
Honored Contributor

I don't think that's return abuse for an expensive handbag. That's why return policies and warranties exist - so that you can make sure you get what you wanted and that it doesn't wear badly. Some people, for example, reported than one GILI bag had cracking appear on the leather. Sometimes you need to use something to spot things like that. If it happens in 30 days, send it back - that's why they have a return policy.

You can even buy a 30-day supply of weight-loss pills, take them all, and return them on the last day if you didn't think they delivered what they promised and that's within the guidelines of the return policy. Frankly, I think that's fair.

For the record, I almost never return anything, so I'm not a return policy abuser trying to justify my own behavior. That's simply the policy, as QVC has stated it many times. I think it's fair.

I don't think it's fair if you buy things INTENDING to return them. You shouldn't buy a bag to take to an event, then return it after the event. That's abuse.