Trusted Contributor
My kitchen cabinets are old. The finish I'd drying out and outdated, but they are solid wood, and sturdy. Has anyone here had there cabinets painted or new doors and drawer fronts on with the rest covered,sorry, can't remember what it's called.... I just hate the thought of spending money on new kitchen as all our appliances are new as are countertops. thanks for any help.
Respected Contributor

Re: Kitchen Cabinet re-do????

I think you're talking about re-facing. I went that route and I absolutely hate them. If they're good and sturdy, either paint them or get them stained but, do not re-face them.
Esteemed Contributor

I too have wood cabinets. They were in really good shape considering they are 40 some years old, but I wanted a change as the doors and drawer fronts were drab and dated looking. Anyway, I had them re-faced in August. I had new counters and a new sink installed as well. Home Depot did the job and I couldn't be more thrilled. My kitchen looks beautiful and the technician who did the work did a beautiful job. It wasn't cheap, but it was less expensive than installing new cabinets. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Contributor

On 4/6/2015 Citrine1 said:

I too have wood cabinets. They were in really good shape considering they are 40 some years old, but I wanted a change as the doors and drawer fronts were drab and dated looking. Anyway, I had them re-faced in August. I had new counters and a new sink installed as well. Home Depot did the job and I couldn't be more thrilled. My kitchen looks beautiful and the technician who did the work did a beautiful job. It wasn't cheap, but it was less expensive than installing new cabinets. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I did the same thing, painted the cabinet frames/boxes and a local carpenter made all new doors for the cabinets. Total cost about $8000 (in addition we got all new drawers, a new lazy susan, and installed drawers in a couple of the bottom cupboards). Best thing we did - the cabinets look new. In addition, the 45 year old cabinets are probably a much better quality than anything you could buy today. I don't think you would ever regret it if you went ahead with it. If possible, keep your old doors and have them refinished... they are probably much better quality wood than anything new that would be built. We went with new doors because we wanted bead board in the middle of them.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you both for your replays. we have the money to get new cabinets,but at the age of 70 I can think of many more ways to spend our money. plus, We have new counters,appliances and flooring.I am really on the fence with this. I will also look into finding someone who has experience with painting kitchen cabinets...
Honored Contributor

I would paint them. We are considering doing that at my parents house. The kitchen cabinets there are in need of some help. Once my mother commits to the idea, we'll get going.
Honored Contributor

We had a Home Depot rep come to give an estimate on cabinet refacing a couple of years ago. For what she quoted, we could have gutted the kitchen and started over with brand new. We decided to wait. We cleaned and restained the current cabinets, changed the hardware and put in a new floor. That really helped a lot. We're getting ready to put in a quartz countertop, new sink and new wall tiles this month. I think that'll do a lot to update the look of the kitchen.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't reface solid wood cabinets... Chances are the refacing won't be as nice as the wood you already have and if it is, you'll probably pay quite a big for solid wood refacing... I'd go the cleaning, staining or painting route. I had my old solid wood but orangey maple kitchen cabinets cleaned, lightly sanded, primed and painted and I love the result.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

JMO If you have everything else spanking new and replaced in your kitchen why would you want to keep your old wooden cabinets?? Kind-of defeats the purpose of replacing the other things. If it were me? I'd tear out and replace the cabinets with new. JMO

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

On 4/6/2015 507df said:
On 4/6/2015 Citrine1 said:

I did the same thing, painted the cabinet frames/boxes and a local carpenter made all new doors for the cabinets. Total cost about $8000 (in addition we got all new drawers, a new lazy susan, and installed drawers in a couple of the bottom cupboards). Best thing we did - the cabinets look new. In addition, the 45 year old cabinets are probably a much better quality than anything you could buy today. I don't think you would ever regret it if you went ahead with it. If possible, keep your old doors and have them refinished... they are probably much better quality wood than anything new that would be built. We went with new doors because we wanted bead board in the middle of them.

I did the same. I don't have cabinets, i have cupboards original built in to the house. To rempve them and install cabinets would be major. Find a good woodworker in your area and have them give you a quote. Mine came out beautiful.