Super Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.blink} I get so frustrated, trying to find an outdoor wreath that won't fade. I have a covered front porch, but during parts of the day, the sun is shining right on my front door. This causes whatever wreath I have on my door, to fade terribly over a few months. I don't know what kind of wreath I can use on my door that won't do this. I guess I need something very rustic, like a grapevine wreath or one with moss, etc. that doesn't contain things like faux berries and fruits, etc. that will fade.

I like changing my wreaths often, so even though my wreaths are not on my door but just a few months they still end up fading and looking so old and worn. I guess I need to just switch to an all purpose wreath that will stay looking good through the seasons.

Anyone have any ideas for an all purpose wreath that can be used across seasons, that is durable and fade resistant?

Do you have a rustic wreath on your door? What is it made of? TIA for any suggestions.

Trusted Contributor
I would start with a hearty, base wreath made of twigs. I would spray this with flat Rustoleum in the color of your choice, then decorate with inexpensive pics, berries and flowers which frequently go on sale at Michael's. These embellishments may fade in time, but anything will. If you do some smart shopping, you should be able to be able to change out the embellishments regularly for a low price. You can touch up the wreath, as necessary, with the same can of Rustoleum or purchase another color and change it up completely.
Honored Contributor

If your porch gets sun anytime of the day, your wreath will eventually fade with time. I use seasonally wreaths on my door and I too have a covered porch, but it faces the South and I do get morning sun, so yes they do fade over time!

Respected Contributor

I have the same problem for you and think I have found the solution. I have a Southern Living at Home outdoor cherub bucket hanger:

Image result for bunch of different color tulipsI change change out the flowers every couple of months to suit the season. I buy the bunches of different colors at Michaels and it looks beautiful on my door. Good luck.

Trusted Contributor
I have a cloth scarecrow that is bright orange. I too have heavy sun, so I decided to spray it with sunblock spray (I used neutragenia 30). It works!!! Every year (going on 2 now) I respray and it still is as bright orange as ever!
Trusted Contributor
On 4/2/2015 willomenia said: I have a cloth scarecrow that is bright orange. I too have heavy sun, so I decided to spray it with sunblock spray (I used neutragenia 30). It works!!! Every year (going on 2 now) I respray and it still is as bright orange as ever!
Great idea. Kyron also makes a UV-Resistant Clear Coating Spray that would work.
Honored Contributor
Whenever I display a wreath with faux berries, the bird pick it apart. Dumb birds.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor
I have the same fading problem. I buy wreaths on sale.
Respected Contributor
On 4/2/2015 PeterDM said:
On 4/2/2015 willomenia said: I have a cloth scarecrow that is bright orange. I too have heavy sun, so I decided to spray it with sunblock spray (I used neutragenia 30). It works!!! Every year (going on 2 now) I respray and it still is as bright orange as ever!
Great idea. Kyron also makes a UV-Resistant Clear Coating Spray that would work.
What great ideas. Thanks!
Respected Contributor
ED on Air tonight featured a lovely brushed metal flower wreath. You could add seasonal elements (patterned ribbons maybe) that wouldn't be as costly to replace as a whole wreath. I think they said it would be fine if in a protected area.