Trusted Contributor

Price of master suite addition?

Hi all, we're thinking of adding a master suite and a mud room onto the back of our house. We live in upstate NY and I'm so sick of all the coats, boots and mess coming straight into the kitchen. Also I'd like my washer and drier and upright freezer in there instead of the basement. Trying to get ready for old age,lol. So a downstairs master and the mud room would make the house livable for many years. We've looked at ranches for sale and they either need a ton of work or cost twice as much as our house now. An addition may be the best answer. Anyone done this and can give an idea of cost? Are you glad you did it? Thanks Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Price of master suite addition?

So much depends on the work you need done that the only way to know for sure is to hire an architect and go from there.

If you live in a small community ask at your city hall what restrictions you have for building. How close are you to your property line or neighbors? Your building inspector may be able to eyeball your project and let you know if it's even in the realm of possibility.

Footers? Plumbing? Electrical? Tree removal? Sewers? Permits?

Then interior touches like trayed ceilings? Floor coverings? Windows and window treatments? How high end do you want to go?

CardinalGirl did a major renovation of her master & bath but she went up to her 2nd story and not out.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks Snowpuppy. We'd probably be mid range on the fixtures and fittings, tile in the mud room and bathroom,hardwoods in the bedroom. We have a clear, flat lawn in the spot behind the garage so there'd be no tree removal or need for a basement dug. We could do a lot of the finish work ourselves, my husband is pretty handy. Just seems to make sense as our home is paid off and no desire to start a huge mortgage again,lol. May be the most cost effective way to get what we need. Also thinking of taking down a load bearing wall to make the living area bigger so that won't be cheap Smiley Wink
Esteemed Contributor

The cost of living and thus the cost of labor varies so much depending upon where you live that I don't think you will be able to get anything like a accurate estimate here. A lot will also depend upon how difficult it will be to tie into your existing roof line. I do think that you should spend the money for a architect to do your plans. that way when you start to get bids from contractors you can give them a copy of the plans to work from when pricing the job. If you don't have plans to work from you cannot be sure that all the contractor bids are ""singing from the same sheet of music"". architects also should be familiar with local building codes and requirements that you might have to take into account.
Super Contributor

Will your addition include an en suite bathroom or will it just be the master bedroom and mudroom? How large will you want the rooms? Depending on where you live, what you are having done, things like electrical, plumbing, and appointments you include and what permits and things you need, I would estimate $75-85,000 based on what you've said so far.

It would be a bit more if you have to have things done like tree removal etc. done. Large tree removal could run $1000. Small tree removal is around $200.

Super Contributor

On 3/29/2015 KathyPet said: The cost of living and thus the cost of labor varies so much depending upon where you live that I don't think you will be able to get anything like a accurate estimate here. A lot will also depend upon how difficult it will be to tie into your existing roof line. I do think that you should spend the money for a architect to do your plans. that way when you start to get bids from contractors you can give them a copy of the plans to work from when pricing the job. If you don't have plans to work from you cannot be sure that all the contractor bids are ""singing from the same sheet of music"". architects also should be familiar with local building codes and requirements that you might have to take into account.

That is a huge consideration and sometimes determines how easily an addition can be done.

Trusted Contributor

I went "out" and "up" with my renovation. We added approximately 900 sq. ft. And if you count the added storage room that would be another 300 sq. ft. We built me a work studio and a sitting area (600 sq. ft.) which can easily be used as another bedroom, if needed. There is a full bath off of this area, so it is, in essence, a master suite. Also, we put in another staircase and added another upstairs bedroom (300 sq.ft.) My grandchildren love this room because with it's height and lots of windows they feel like they're in a sort of tree house!!! lol...This room has a door which leads to a storage room that is another 300 sq.ft.

I'm so glad we did this. It means we have a downstairs master bedroom/bath if one of us should become unable to use the stairs.

As far as cost goes, that's difficult to say. It really all depends on your area, your architect and contractor. Also, the cost of permits will vary. Also, it depends on "add-ons" such as the types of finishes like windows, french doors, flooring, molding, etc. There are so many variables. I will say this, whatever your contractor quotes you, be prepared for your costs to go over! And also expect there to be delays. It most likely will take longer than planned.

Still, I'd do it again. Good luck.

ETA: We didn't want to move to another home. We love where we live, and here in CA if we moved, our property taxes would be reassessed and go waaay up. They still went up, but not nearly as much as they would have if we'd moved.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Esteemed Contributor

First and foremost you need to consult with a reputable architect. You didn't mention if you have a septic system which is another thing to deal with such as where are your tanks, fields, etc. good luck
Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much for the replies. We would definitely be adding a bathroom in the master as we would want to use this area when we are too old for the stairs,lol. Which could be sooner rather than later as my knee is giving me a lot of problems right now Smiley Sad I'm thinking that all the plumbing involved for the bathroom, washer and dryer etc would be expensive and also as mentioned lining up the roof. Then we would probably need to get the house sided as we have painted siding right now so there is that too. Just keeps adding up! Not sure if it's better to move,lol! There is also the fact of pricing the house out of the neighborhood which isn't such a worry if we stay here forever but you never know what could happen. I'd hate to spend $80,000 and have to sell in a few years and only get $20,000 back. So much to think about.
Respected Contributor

raven is the expert in this area. That is what she does for a living. Give her a shout out.