Respected Contributor

Considering bringing a new pet into my home.

I have an 11 year old pug who is diabetic, can't hear and can barely see. She sleeps a lot, but eats well and is a happy baby. I am considering getting a another puppy. My pug has always been an only dog and I don't want to do anything to disrupt her life. I would appreciate any advice that you could give me on this topic. My DH wants another female, but I've read that it's better to get a male if your other dog is a female. What do you think?
Frequent Contributor

Re: Considering bringing a new pet into my home.

We have a 13 year old chihuahua-terrier mix named Isabell that we had since she was a baby. She's one spoiled little lady and she has also been experiencing ""old age"". We had considered bringing another dog into the mix but Isabell has always been an ""only child"" (i.e. only pet) in the household and we think that it might upset her to have to share the spotlight after so many years. I guess what I'm saying (and it's only my opinion) is that your little lady should be the only one in your household. It's all she has known.

Esteemed Contributor

Our Murphy was 10 when we brought home a one year old rescue. We kept them at separate ends while eating and never asked Murphy to share his crate! Just remember a puppy likes to play - a lot!! So your older one will need some space. However, the puppy will go out with the older one for potty and might train faster! Good luck and keep me posted!!
Respected Contributor

I feel that you should. I have a male and a female and they get along great. The older one would probably love having a companion.

Respected Contributor

ShellBell, I'm having such a hard time with my baby getting older. When I think about it, I cry. She is a member of my family. My DH thinks it would be best for me to go ahead and get another dog, but I have the same concerns that you have.
Respected Contributor

I had actually thought that wouldn't ever get another pet because I get so attached. DH thinks that's the craziest thing he's ever heard.
Respected Contributor

On 3/25/2015 riley1 said: Our Murphy was 10 when we brought home a one year old rescue. We kept them at separate ends while eating and never asked Murphy to share his crate! Just remember a puppy likes to play - a lot!! So your older one will need some space. However, the puppy will go out with the older one for potty and might train faster! Good luck and keep me posted!!
Thanks. How did you keep the new puppy from eating the other's food?
Frequent Contributor

On 3/25/2015 AGV said: ShellBell, I'm having such a hard time with my baby getting older. When I think about it, I cry. She is a member of my family. My DH thinks it would be best for me to go ahead and get another dog, but I have the same concerns that you have.

AGV ~ I totally sympathize and empathize with you!! We just had a check-up at the vets and the doctor said that she's going great for "her age" but we see the signs that she's having some problems. She doesn't see or hear as well as she did and her tummy gets upset often so we've had to stop feeding her some of her favorite things. It's hard but she's happy and no one could love her more than we do so that helps. How is your baby around other dogs? Isabell doesn't really play well with others so I guess that's why I really think it would upset her to have another pet in the house. But, if yours is good around other dogs then maybe it wouldn't be an issue for her.

Honored Contributor

This is really something only you and your household can determine. But I'd look at how your older dog gets along with other dogs at this point, especially puppies. As was mentioned, puppies are rowdy and like to play a lot. If your older dog would resent this, or even possibly be physically harmed, I think that aspect should be considered.

Have you considered adopting an older dog? I don't necessarily mean a senior dog, just one that is out of the puppy crazy stage, say a year old or two old? They often are much calmer and easier to socialize with an older pet.

Also, you say that your current dog is diabetic, deaf and almost blind. I'm sure all this requires a lot of your time and attention. Would you and your household have the time required to train and socialize a new puppy and still give your older dog the attention it needs too?

I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to talk you out of a puppy, just pointing out some possible pitfalls. I know many people have introduced puppies with their senior dogs with no problems, I just think it requires analyzing your situation accurately to avoid possible problems.

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

I kept the new one at one end of the kitchen and Murphy at the other end and I was in the middle! You can also get a corral like they sell in a pet store too separate them! We have always had 2 dogs and not had issues. However, if a dog doesn't care for other dogs you might want to hold off