Honored Contributor

Finally taking down vertical blinds in my dining room!!! Yeah

I thought i knew how to post a pic, but, after many attempts I'm not figuring it out! Anyway, I have a double patio door (126"Wx84 L) in the dining room/great room of my home. I do not need privacy in the evening as I live on the golf course, and during the day I usually have the sliders open. (I have a full lanai off the back of the dining room area).

I'm looking for suggestions as I would like to put up a traverse rod and use sheer pinch pleated drapes OR grommet style panels (although not sure how many I would need).

What do you think about using one of these as I do like the softness of a covered window. I am having 2" wood blinds in the kitchen/family room/bedroom and plantation shutters put in the front of the house (2 large triple windows)I am looking for something to keep the flow with this LARGE sliding door onto my lanai area.

Thank you and if I can figure out how to post a pic I will.

Honored Contributor

Re: Finally taking down vertical blinds in my dining room!!! Yeah

That sounds beautiful, check out Pottery Barn-they have some really nice Pleated Drapes!!!!!! Post a pic if you figure it out-I know I am not good at that sort of thing either.

Respected Contributor

Just took down the pinch pleated drapes out of my mom's house, it's going up for sale and the realtor said "those are of the past"....he suggested blinds, horizontal, not vertical.

I have a big picture window for which I'm waiting to decide what type of window covering, right now, it's open and at night, you can see in the house but right now, that doesn't bother me because the neighbors are quite a ways away.

I think I'm going to order the push button remote control blind, does anyone have one, do you enjoy it?

Waiting to hear what others have to suggest regarding yours doors.

Respected Contributor

Sorry I don't have any suggestions. I like vertical blinds on sliding patio doors. They are a good solution for privacy and blocking light and you can open them quickly to exit. Drapes are a pain to open and close IMO but I'm not knocking your choice.

Honored Contributor

Our new apartment required all new window treatments. We bought cordless top down bottom up cellular shades for all of the windows, including the patio doors (one for each door, mounted horizontally). They mount inside the windows, very easy to install, and we are pleased with them. We bought them in ivory which brings a huge amount of light into the rooms. They give you privacy and light at the same time when you draw the top down and lift the bottoms up. We will not be using curtains or drapes over them because they look lovely by themselves.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Good for you! Gosh, I hate those things. No matter the color or material they're just unattractive in my opinion. 'Past' or not... sheer draw draperies would be a nice way to go.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I despise vertical blinds and feel sure you can find a more attractive solution for your patio sliders! Which solution will depend on the style of your home and your tastes. There are many options. You can Google for some websites offering various products and ideas. I'd suggest you go into one or more stores that carry a wide variety of window treatments and talk with sales reps for ideas and to discuss measurements, etc. You can also look online and see what is available and what appeals to you.

Respected Contributor

I like the grommet style panels. Easy to slide open and closed and a little more updated and casual than pinch pleat.

Here's a link to a decorating forum, a person asking about valences, but if you scroll down you will see some pics of window coverings which might interest you. You could start at the ceiling or at the top of the sliding door (latter my preference).

Bet you'll be happy to kiss those verticals good bye!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2926821/is-a-valance-with-longer-sides-outdated-or-still-in?n=...

Respected Contributor

I put sheers up over sliding doors and they were a hassle going in and out to deck. Always blowing out and catching in door.

No fears about privacy because you live on a golf course? Am I the only one who peeks?

Honored Contributor

Yay for you! We've had them at our back door for ages. I can't tell you how many times I've replaced them because the slats (or whatever they're called) would break. I am so over them. We're redoing the kitchen and ours are going to go for good, too. I'm pretty much settled on finding panels with grommets that can just slide on a rod. I want something that looks nice, but yet will stand up to the dog because he lays right there and looks out the window several times throughout the day. Pier 1 has an assortment of colors for that size door/window, if you want to get two panels and have one on the left and one on the right. Country Curtains has big panels that will cover the opening and then the whole thing slides to one side. That kind sounds more convenient to me, for being able to in and out the door.