Respected Contributor

Hoping our minivan can last us the rest of this year, but looking ahead of what type of car to replace it with. Right now it's the Toyota Highlander, preferably a hybrid. If any of you have one (hybrid or non-hybrid) can you tell me its pros and cons? I'm interested in the hybrid because I drive a lot of miles and I'm so tired of filling up at the gas station 2-3 times a week. I'd also like to know if the routine maintenance and if something breaks on the hybrid is more expensive than a non-hybrid Highlander. I've also read that the gas mileage of Toyota Highlander hybrid is not accurate. That in tests drives, it was difficult to get that good gas mileage. Is that true? Thanks everyone.

Honored Contributor
I own a 2013 Toyota Highlander and am very pleased with this vehicle. It is not a hybrid. The only maintenance performed on this vehicle has been routine and covered under my 2 year maintenance free coverage, but I did purchase the extended warranty coverage, which would cover major issues with motor and transmission. This vehicle only has 8700 miles on it, as I'm retired and do not go out every day. I usually only buy gas once a month. Nothing about this vehicle has disappointed me. When I purchased this vehicle, Toyota was offering no interest financing for 60 months, which was a definite plus as well. I am a very satisfied Toyota customer, and would definitely buy another Highlander. My nephew just bought a hybrid Subaru, and is a very satisfied customer with that make and model. Good luck finding what meets your needs.
Honored Contributor

How about helping our own country and buy an American made vehicle?? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I drove anything other than American made. Just the way I am.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor
On 3/23/2015 ID2 said:

How about helping our own country and buy an American made vehicle?? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I drove anything other than American made. Just the way I am.

Good thing what the OP buys shouldn't affect your sleep at all.

geesh.

Respected Contributor

Prior to the Toyota Minivan we own now, we have owned a Chevy, Pontiacs, Ford and Dodge. Nothing but constant problems with every one of them.

Respected Contributor
On 3/23/2015 ScrapHappy said:

Prior to the Toyota Minivan we own now, we have owned a Chevy, Pontiacs, Ford and Dodge. Nothing but constant problems with every one of them.

That's what sent my to my Honda dealer back in 2007.

I supported LOTS of the American economy with my Buick and Jeep and Ford, and it frequently left my budget extremely tight. I haven't had to do anything but routine maintenance with my CR-V and am still loving it like I did on day 1.

Honored Contributor

A lot of "foreign" cars are manufactured here in the U.S. When the cost for a new car is so significant, I would want the best quality I could afford regardless of the company name.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/23/2015 ID2 said:

Most of the cars we buy are made in the USA. You may want to check Consumer Report's April Car issue for the recommended models for 2015.

Super Contributor
On 3/23/2015 Buck-i-Nana said:
On 3/23/2015 ScrapHappy said:

That's what sent my to my Honda dealer back in 2007.

I supported LOTS of the American economy with my Buick and Jeep and Ford, and it frequently left my budget extremely tight. I haven't had to do anything but routine maintenance with my CR-V and am still loving it like I did on day 1.

I could not agree with you more. Before my Honda Accord in 2004, I owned Ford and Chevrolet, brand new. Each drove good for awhile, until things started ticking, dripping and then would not start at all. It was one problem after another. The last straw was when the mechanic didn't even figure out how to fix it. My Honda still drive like new. I am interested in buying a CR-V.

Valued Contributor

We just went through the quandry of buying a new (used) car, too. We considered the Subaru Forrester, then the Murano; but ended up very happy with a Honda Pilot. We found out the Murano was a bit too small for our liking, with a blind spot that was too worrisome. The Forrester was a bit too small for us too, after being used to much bigger vehicles. The Honda Pilot was our Goldilocks car. Good luck with your choice!

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo