Esteemed Contributor

How do u clean walls with flat paint?

I honestly don't know the answer to this....and I don't want to mess up my walls! I have walls with flat paint and I need to clean them. In particular, I have spots in my kitchen. Other than re-painting, how can I clean them? (Note- I didn't choose flat paint; the house I bought had just painted throughout the house and the previous owner chose a color I love! ...hence, I left the flat paint job.). Thanks, in advance, for any advice.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do u clean walls with flat paint?

Try Mr. Clean Magic Sponges on those spots. just don't rub too hard or you will remove paint. less is more.
Esteemed Contributor

Kathypet, Do you use the sponges wet? Do the wet spots dry ok on the flat paint? Thx for your help!
Super Contributor

If the spots are not greasy or oil spots, you can try gently washing them with plain water. I'm afraid that I haven't had great luck cleaning my flat paint either. I heard good things about the scotch brite easy eraser pads. They work, but they also removed some of the paint. If you have several coats of the same color on the wall, it should be okay.

I usually just do my best to clean and paint over the spots with some thinned paint (if necessary).

Esteemed Contributor

That's a good idea, river song ...I could just thin some of the paint with water and touch up. I had not thought of thinning the paint first, but that sounds like a good idea for touch ups. Thanks.
Super Contributor

PS, saw your question to kathypet. I used the sponges I had wet. And other cleaning methods. I don't seem to have problems with the paint getting wet. It looks fine when it dries. The bigger problem for me is trying to wash it without the paint rubbing off.

I find that thinning the paint just helps it blend in better to the area around it so the touched-up areas aren't as obvious. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I spot clean areas with a wet paper towel that has some dawn on it. I run the paper towel through the water and add a few drops of dawn. Once it's a little sudsy, I squeeze most of the water out. I finish it with a couple damp paper towels with no dawn. Haven't had any issues. Magic erasers haven't worked well for me on the wall. I keep them strictly for my glass top stove.
Super Contributor

I have always just used a soft cloth damp with water and never had a problem.

Esteemed Contributor

Wet them and then wring them out. remember use a light touch.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to all - I really appreciate your help!