Valued Contributor

Bird lovers......Need an opinion of upcoming problem.

I am worrried about a problem about to arise. Under two awnings I have bird gourd houses and the birds have raised many families in them over the years. We recently signed to have our house sided which will be done in June. The awnings will have to come down. If I can catch the birds without eggs or babies I will be okay, but if it comes time and they still have active nests, do you think if I move the houses to shepard hooks just a little ways from the house they will still take care of the eggs/ babies? The houses should not be down more than 2-3 days. I would take them down now, but they already have eggs in them I think and June is quite aways away.

Valued Contributor

Re: Bird lovers......Need an opinion of upcoming problem.

I would move them now.

Trusted Contributor

Eggs hatch in 21 days,and another couple weeks for them to fledge.Look in there to see if they have eggs or not. The sooner you move them the better. But they might not like being in the open on a low shepards hook.
Super Contributor

Spid188 is correct. If you have eggs now, the babies will be fledged by June. I would move the nests at that time to shepherds hooks, as they will probably lay eggs for a second clutch.

Respected Contributor

Move the nests right now. Then use string to hang old CDs all around where they might be tempted to nest. The twisting, twirling reflections off the CDs will scare them off from nesting in that area. Otherwise they'll probably return very soon, build their nests and start preparing for their babies, if they haven't already done that.

You will be heartbroken if the babies die, I can tell by your post here, so do what you can to prevent the whole ordeal from happening.

I just started keeping our garage doors shut during the day. Last year a small mother bird laid eggs in an old box in our garage and then at some point there was either too much noise or the doors were shut but she abandoned her nest. I felt so bad about this and I'm trying to avoid that this year.

Valued Contributor

Thanks Spud188 and Wadzilla. Knowing they have 21 days to hatch and raise them after that, I might be able to catch them while they are busy feeding the first family when the babies fledge and move the houses before family No. 2 is started. That is my plan for now. Hope the siding guys don't come early now.{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Honored Contributor

Nomar, what kind of birds do you have in your gourd houses? I have bluebirds and chickadees in the bird houses here, but I've never had gourd houses.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

NickNack.....I just have plain old sparrows in them. But, I still feel sorry for them when you have to disrupt their homes they work so hard at. I wish the house wrens would have moved into them, but I guess they don't like houses. I always have a family of them build in my Bethlehem lights hanging basket on the front porch. We drilled air holes all around the gourd, as I imagine they could get pretty hot, even under the awnings. They birds seem to love them. Our chickadees never stay over summer here and always leave after the weather warms. We cannot get a bluebird to come around here at all. Not enough open space I guess. You are lucky to have bluebirds and chickadees raising their families with you.

Honored Contributor

Nomar, as someone who lives with two hand raised sparrows and avidly takes care of the outside sparrows, I recommend you relocate the bird houses now. The sparrows around me usually have their first clutch by Mother's Day.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Agree with those suggesting to move them right now. Don't let them lay eggs there, then have to deal with it.