Super Contributor

Need garage sale help and advice!

Hi Ladies! I have recently retired, and am having a garage sale. I have lived here 20 years and gotten rid of very little so I have tons of stuff. Nice dishes, Christmas decs, all holidays, crafts, books, work clothes, jewelry, home decoratives. I'm a little bit worried about how much stuff I'm accumulating for the sale (going through everything and making a big pile in my garage right now in prep.) I've never had one before. Advice? Pricing, time, bargaining, how to get it all set up ahead, etc. I appreciate any advice!! Thanks ladies!
Valued Contributor

Re: Need garage sale help and advice!

Honestly, I will never have a garage sale ever again. People want your stuff for nothing. They will be rude to you and act like your stuff is junk. I think it's because they want it for nothing because they are selling it at flea markets. People came around in pick up trucks full of stuff. If you have nice dishes you would do better selling them to replacemensltd.com. You would do better on ebay. Or you could donate it all and get a tax write off.
Honored Contributor

On 3/17/2015 Cardamom said: Honestly, I will never have a garage sale ever again. People want your stuff for nothing. They will be rude to you and act like your stuff is junk. I think it's because they want it for nothing because they are selling it at flea markets. People came around in pick up trucks full of stuff. If you have nice dishes you would do better selling them to replacemensltd.com. You would do better on ebay. Or you could donate it all and get a tax write off.

Then just sit in your recliner and read a book. You are all done.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

Time 7:30 a- 8aor 9a ,but real yard salers want early. Do not over price books 25 cents, maybe 1.00 $ for hard covers. Nice clothes, dishes etc. take to consignment shops ,also handbags too. Bottom line no one wants to spend they all want bargains. Sell cheap, ask what they are offering. Hopefully you will sell and not bring the stuff back in.. Antique dealers show up early too. Good luck. Very true about some rudeness, way back it would be fun to do yard sales, now people put out a lot of junk and want money! For what should go to the garbage.
Respected Contributor

I'd have to agree with the poster who said to donate everything & get a receipt for the tax write-off. If you must have the sale, please get some helpers. Unfortunately, some of the lookie-loos are there to either steal what you have put out for sale, or case your house (and sneak in if they can). Be careful.

Respected Contributor

On 3/17/2015 Cardamom said: Honestly, I will never have a garage sale ever again. People want your stuff for nothing. They will be rude to you and act like your stuff is junk. I think it's because they want it for nothing because they are selling it at flea markets. People came around in pick up trucks full of stuff. If you have nice dishes you would do better selling them to replacemensltd.com. You would do better on ebay. Or you could donate it all and get a tax write off.

I feel the same way. Never again. I spent hours pricing everything and applying price stickers. Someone went through while I was busy with other shoppers and removed almost ALL of the stickers. I guess they wanted to confuse me and have me say - oh, just take it all for free!

I'm in a big city and we have all kinds of weirdos here with no manners. If you're in a smaller place, I'm sure it will be different.

Trusted Contributor

The last (only) garage sale I had was a complete bust. Lots of work, lots of planning, lots of mess, very few sales. Not interested in repeating.

I did much better the last time we moved when I called a nearby flea market and had their buyers come to the house to buy and haul off the stuff we were getting rid of. They went through it, packed it, loaded it on their trucks, and hauled it off -- and paid us several hundred dollars for the privilege. Much better. Some of the junkier stuff we carried to the dump or donated to Goodwill.

Regular Contributor

I've had many yard sales and have met a lot of nice people and yes some loonies as well, but that is the chance you take when you open your yard for people to have at look at your items. I agree with the pricing for items with "number one queen", but consignments means you'll only get half of what you are asking and often times they do mark items down after a time period. But I have sold an array of things, and you have to be a good barterer because people want things cheap. I like to barter and often times it comes out good for me. If you have something valuable (jewelry etc.) keep those items close to you at the table you are taking the money for purchases. I use a fanny pack as to not leave money unattended. Try to have help, in case it gets busy and you don't loose track of what you're doing with one customer to the next. It's a lot of work but it does pay off it it's done well. I usually have signs made and put up the night before around the neighborhood. Have all your items marked with prices and all ready to go early next morning to put out. The less you have to do the day of the sale the better. Also have enough change dollars and coins to make change with people. I don't take checks, only cash. And not large bills, 50-100's. Have a calculator for quick adding, and bags and wrapping (old newspapers for dishes and breakables) to pack for customers. I usually have mine in front of our garage so I can look out on to the driveway and watch people shop, this ways no one gets by to go beyond into the house, one never knows, these days. Main thing have fun get trusted help (family friends) and hope you make out well $$$$! Good luck! I'm having one too this spring!

Super Contributor

Wow, this is discouraging! I live in a fairly small college town (90,000) and garage sales abound in the spring/summer. Last year we had a giant estate sale when my mother died and made a lot of money. I'm trying to not do that to anyone else--cleaning now rather than later! Anyone at all have any luck?? TIA Posh, thanks for your thoughts. I will have family to help, brother and fiancé. Couldn't do it alone!
Super Contributor

My friends and I do a garage sale together every couple of years. Yes, they're a lot of work, but they can be fun, too!

First thing you have to ask yourself is do you want to get rid of it or not. Because if you want to get rid of it, you can't price by sentimentality. There are 2 pricing strategies. One is to mark them low and not negotiate, the other is to mark them higher and negotiate. I usually mark low and only negotiate if they are buying lots. Some people are so used to bargaining that you have to say, no, I started out really low so I don't have room to negotiate.

Next, consider condition. Clothes should not be ripped or stained--no one wants something that belongs in the rag bag, even for a quarter. Take time to get the dust off your nicknacks, rinse off toys, and make sure that sets have all their pieces.

We organize in "departments" so people can easily see what categories they want to pause in. Most people who go to garage sales go with one or two categories in mind. Me, I like books and craft supplies. One of my friends is all about the clothes. People just setting up a new house or stocking a camper are looking for low cost kitchen gadgets. Flea market dealers love nicknacks and antique-y stuff. Some people love reminiscing and buy things that they remember from their childhoods. Parents of young children want kids clothes and toys.

Here I'm going to pause to warn you. Flea market dealers are looking to buy low so they can sell high. Before you price your items, take some time searching ebay for similar items, to get a feel for what they sell for. That lessens the chance that you will be taken advantage of, but it can still happen. If you have items that are truly valuable, you might want to consider selling them directly on ebay or to a consignment shop. My tactic is to look around and at ebay to get some idea, then price closely to that, with negotiating room. I'll go a little lower just to get rid of it, but no one is getting a $400 signed pot for $5. ($350, maybe even $325, ok...) Some name brand items like Waterford or Hummel are obvious things to watch for, but be realistic, they won't sell at retail price.

But most nicknacks are NOT valuable, even if they're old. We have sentimental attachments to things because people gave them to us throughout the years. Some people have "collected" something throughout the years with the idea that they will be worth more in the future. Most of those items are worth far less than when they were bought. When the last of my great aunts died, I ended up with an attic full of collectibles the 3 of them had gotten through the years. One bought "collectible" plates in series, and I know those plates were bought for $20-$30 each. But they're only worth about 50 cents at a garage sale, pretty much one at a time when one catches someone's eye as perfect for their kitchen shelf, etc. Ditto the bell collection, the spoon collection, etc. (Check things like spoons for silver hallmarks. Some are sterling, and can be sold at melt weight for more than you can get at a garage sale. But most travel souvenir spoons are not silver.)

This post is getting long, so I'm going to submit it and start another...