Respected Contributor

Do you ever "make do" before buying?

This has happened a couple of times and I have to say, it's rather empowering.

For instance, I need two ring holders - one for the bathroom and one for the kitchen. I went online and saw some real cute ones that are reasonably priced. Then I realized I had the perfect solution by hanging my ring on the pump of a hand lotion container that has an indented area about 1/4" from the opening of the pump. So that solved that problem.

My paper towel holder works as my kitchen ring holder. The thingy that keeps the towels from unraveling is perfect!

I wanted to purchase organizers for my foil, wax paper, plastic sealing wrap, etc. Then it dawned on me to use a couple of napkin holders that were no longer in use to keep them from slipping.

Do you have some creative ways of making use of your things and saving money?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

Re: Do you ever ""make do"" before buying?

Yes, I try to postpone spending until I'm sure I want whatever it is. Like you, often I realize I don't really need it or actually have something that works just as well.

I needed some saucers to put under potted plants in the house, looked at them in the store but didn't feel like spending the money then. Then I realized that the clear plastic lids from take-out salads are the perfect size, better looking than the ones at the store. They don't have stickers on them either. Perfect!

I don't totally understand your ring-holders, but do be careful that they cannot slip off or inadvertently be tossed out.

Super Contributor

I do that a lot. Under bathroom sink vanity--I used 3 shoe boxes, without the lids, that were really pretty, to hold hairspray, shampoos, hair coloring boxes etc., so nothing falls over and they just slide in and out. Under kitchen sink, 2 plastic dish pans to hold all the stuff. Everything stays put. I live in a condo so every inch has to be accounted for.

Respected Contributor

Funny, I can't even picture most of those things. I'm not creative at all, I rarely think of alternative uses for things. I don't have a lot of time or energy, so if I need something, it's easier to just buy it.

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

Yes I do.

Honored Contributor

After enough years of regretted purchases and so many things that just didn't live up to my expectations, I now think longer about a purchase. Oftentimes, all we are doing is adding more stuff to our already dreaded amount of 'stuff'.

I have been re-purposing more and more things all the time. Saves money, and keeps the clutter down.

Honored Contributor

I absolutely make do before I run out and buy anything. I don't like spending money on just stuff, or anything I don't truly need, and expect to use often.
Esteemed Contributor

I would be considered a Queen in this category. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Re-purposing, reinventing. When I was first out on my own I made window curtains from some very pretty bed sheets I was given. I haven't stopped since.

I've overthought purchases for so long.....until they go out of style or I look at it again and it's meh.

That said I can afford what I want now so I go for quality. At a good price.

Honored Contributor

I use plant pots as garbage containers in my bathrooms.i also use my can punch to open jars by sticking the pointed part under the lid seal and it releases.love to hear how everyone else gets creative in their lives.