Frequent Contributor

White whites without using bleach.

Looking for something to get my whites white without chlorine bleach. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
Honored Contributor

Re: White whites without using bleach.

Adding Oxyclean powder to the wash comes to my mind. Also, use a deteregent that contains a bleach alternative.

Esteemed Contributor

borax or bluing liquid. Both found on amazon or at grocery store

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

I have always felt that whites that are not pure cotton will never get that white, white look. They always get sort of grey no matter what.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions, I am checking them out on Amazon now. I do think once they have grayed they probably can't be revived but good ideas for the future.
Respected Contributor

Oxiclean Versatile Stain Remover; they have a whitener too but I've never used it. My whites are whiter than white and I haven't used chlorine bleach for 7 years. I add it to every wash load and soak for a short while - longer if need be. It's a miracle product.

Super Contributor

I toss a sheet of Color Grabber into each load of wash. My whites stay very bright.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

I use Cascade dishwasher detergent....my cousin told me about this and it does work! No more bleach for me.
Esteemed Contributor

FYI: Cascade likely contains some bleach. I would never use DW detergent in my h/e washing machine.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a couple of black sweaters with white trim. Would Oxyclean brighten the white trim without fading the black?