Esteemed Contributor

I have solar panels on my roof (still beneath a few feet of snow). Had the snow removed from the main roof, but not the solar panels - did not want to damage them. The solar company said it's okay to remove the snow from the panels, using a plastic rake. Can anyone advise me what they use for their solar panels?

Super Contributor

I don't have solar panels on my roof but my old neighbor did and I believe her DH used one of those large push brooms.

I'm not sure how that would work with snow-- she only had leaves.

Super Contributor

If the solar company told you to use a rake, I'd go with that.

Do they have someone that could come out and remove the snow for you? I'd ask. even if you have to pay them a small fee.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your replies. With the amount of snow, brush w/n work - live on the Worcester, MA line and we've, again, have the most snowfall in the entire country - waaay too much snow! Unfortunately, the solar co is based in Utah and don't provide snow removal. The rep checked and called me back and said they recommend a plastic snow rake. I was just wondering if some types would work better in protecting the panels. Hopefully, everything will start melting - slowly - 'cause there's just too much for the ground to absorb. And, can't wait 'til the panels are fully operating - got my elec bill and freaked (elec co got a 37% charge inc approved!). Anyways, I'll stop complaining and I really do appreciate your replies. Have a nice day!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have solar panels but I do use a snow rake - it's got a plastic shovel type of end piece attached to a very long pole. I am careful when I use it over the cables on my roof and so far I've had no problems. Be careful if you have gutters not to lean it too much on them while removing snow. My rake is rather lightweight.