Esteemed Contributor

Looking for a small, good BBQ

Hoping someone has a recommendation for me. We have a large Broil King BBQ on a smaller deck. We would like to find a good quality BBQ that isn't huge. I don't need room for a gas tank as we have a gas line that goes directly to the BBQ.

Looking for highest heat possible to quickly sear meats. Is there a small gas BBQ that cooks with the same high heat as a traditional old fashioned charcoal BBQ?

We are not willing to sacrifice size for a poor quality BBQ if you know what I mean. TIA for suggestions. LM

Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for a small, good BBQ

I highly recommend the Charbroil Tru-Infared. It is square, compact, and super hot. It's also reasonably priced. We ditched our huge expensive grill and this has been great. It's the commercial 2burner T-22D.
Honored Contributor

Did you consider the Masterbuilt Veranda 196 sq. in. Electric Grill With Cover? I know you wanted a gas BBQ but this might work and is small.

K41863

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions. Off to check them out. LM

Honored Contributor

In my opinion, the only way to get a sear of sorts on a gas grill is to be sure the items have a marinade of some sort on them.

Super Contributor

We made our old gas grill into a charcoal grill.

Regular Contributor

A few years ago I purchased a small cast iron hibachi (was popular in the 70's Smiley Happy when cooking for two to four people. I prefer the taste of charcoal cooked meats and don't cook for large crowds much. Love this little grill!

Honored Contributor

We love our Baby Weber grill. Fantastic flavor. Perfect for two or three. Use the Kingsford already with fluid in them, so no heavy lighter fluid taste.

Honored Contributor

If you are cooking over coals, buy lump charcoal, not briquettes. They are real charcoal and have no binders and fillers. Start that or even charcoal in a charcoal chimney and you will get a good hot fire going without using lighter fluid or petroleum starters of any kind!

Honored Contributor

I'm a huge fan of the Baby Weber grills, but it sounds like you're looking for a gas grill, so here's what to look for. You want the highest ratio of BTU to grill surface. Nearly all grills list their BTU output and also their grill surface area and that's the information you need to get a hot grill. Let's look at two hypothetical grills. One has 100 square inches of grill surface and produces 50,000 BTU's. You're getting 500 BTU's per square inch of grill surface. Grill two has 60,000 BTU's (you'd think it was hotter) but 200 square inches of grill surface so you're only getting 300 BTU's per square inch. If you really want a hot grill, you'd be better off with the one with the 50,000 BTU's spread out over the smaller surface area. More BTU's in less area gives you a hotter grill. Those numbers are found on pretty much every grill, but few know how to interpret them. You'll find grillers buying aircraft carrier sized grills to get more BTU's only to discover the grill is cooler than a much smaller grill. It's the ratio of BTU to grill surface that counts.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!