Frequent Contributor

Replacing my hot water heater........

Electric, 50 gallon tank. Any brand suggestions or warnings? Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Replacing my hot water heater........

I don't have any suggestions but when ours had to be replaced we went through our utility company, PSE&G.

Frequent Contributor

We replaced our 50 gallon water heater to a Tankless water heater! they are not inexpensive, but worth it!!

Honored Contributor

Keep in mind a 50 gallon is relatively small in what it holds. We had a 66 when our kids were here, after they left home and we needed a replacement we got the 50 just for the 2 of us, and we regret it, we often run out of hot water when we still need it.

Honored Contributor

I am not aware of there being that many brands of water heaters available. We have had 4 water heaters in 40 years; all were the same brand and came from Lowe's.
Respected Contributor

On 3/2/2015 RedTop said: I am not aware of there being that many brands of water heaters available. We have had 4 water heaters in 40 years; all were the same brand and came from Lowe's.

Exactly!

Respected Contributor

Every hot water we have ever had came from Sears......but as Sunnysw suggested, the tankless hot water heater is worth looking into. Hot water on demand.....I love it !
Honored Contributor

I think all water heaters are created equal.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I have a gas water heater, but when I had it replaced about 3 years ago, they installed a brand called AO Smith. The installer told me that many of the other brands use this company's water heaters & slap their own brand name on it. I guess kind of like Whirlpool make appliances that are rebranded for Sears, etc.

Honored Contributor

One word of advice is to not be overly impressed by warranties. Returning a defective hot water heater can be nearly impossible making the warranties largely useless. I keep waiting for someone to make a water heater with a plastic/rubber liner of some sort that would solve the leaking issue. The glass lining always ends up failing while plastic/rubber could last far, far longer.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!