Respected Contributor

laminate hardwood and formaldehyde

Did anyone see CBS 60 Minutes story on Lumber Liquidators? Seems their China plants purposely mislabel the hardwood floor composite and it is extremely high in formaldehyde. Lawsuits, etc.

Respected Contributor

Re: laminate hardwood and formaldehyde

I did see it.

Respected Contributor

I did not see it, interesting.....

I do know LL has had many issues with lawsuits in the past, if I remember correctly most were quality related.

Several years ago I was told by few people in the Real Estate business that 'Lumber Liquidators' floors was almost as bad as having mold in a house. The sale of a house could fall through over LL hardwood or laminate floors! Now this issue!

Honored Contributor

After I saw it I asked my husband how you could really know who manufactured the laminate flooring in a house if you didn't have it installed yourself. I didn't get an answer I was comfortable with. I've lived in two houses that had laminate flooring but I don't live in one with it now. It sure makes me not want to live in one again. I wonder how many buyers are going to start requesting testing before closing on a sale.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I was just watching this when I saw your post....For those interested, here are the links.

Fallout for Lumber Liquidators after "60 Minutes" investigation - Videos - CBS News

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/fallout-for-lumber-liquidators-after-60-minutes-investigation/

Lumber Liquidators linked to health and safety violations - CBS News

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lumber-liquidators-linked-to-health-and-safety-violations/

Esteemed Contributor

I saw it - I've had Anderson laminate flooring for 12+ years now. As soon as I get home I'm checking the 1/2 box I have in my garage to see where it was made! I couldn't find any info on line about where Anderson - a US company- makes their laminate product. Hopefully they didn't outsource back in 2002.

I had it installed by a local mom/pop flooring company- not Lumber Liquidators.

Super Contributor

Wasn't there a poster within the last week or two asking about flooring? It seems like she had it installed & it wasn't properly done so she was having a lot of problems. I was wondering if the flooring was from LL.

Diamonds22

Honored Contributor

I missed 60 Minutes, and thank you for the link/video! Same old story of companies not testing products manufactured in 'C.'. (Almost) Nobody seems to care these days. We should probably buy our own meters or contraptions and test the stuff ourselves. Again, that's why I'm in favor of more regulation in certain instances. Unpopular as it is.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I remember some years ago, there was a similar problem with the paneling in mobile homes.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/2/2015 ibb38 said:

I saw it - I've had Anderson laminate flooring for 12+ years now. As soon as I get home I'm checking the 1/2 box I have in my garage to see where it was made! I couldn't find any info on line about where Anderson - a US company- makes their laminate product. Hopefully they didn't outsource back in 2002.

I had it installed by a local mom/pop flooring company- not Lumber Liquidators.

I'm glad I looked- it's Armstrong laminates (not Anderson) - and it was made in Austria. Hopefully Austria followed safety regualtions in 2002!! ....