Trusted Contributor

If you could retire anywhere in the USA

Where would it be? And why?
Respected Contributor

Re: If you could retire anywhere in the USA

Many years away, but...Palm Springs CA (or near by), San Diego, Naples FL (or close by)
Honored Contributor

We are retiring this year to our lovely new cottage in upper MI. We've had it for years and just recently knocked the old place down and re-built a beautiful new cottage.....our dream. We just listed our home beginning today and by August we're outta here!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Most in my family have all gone to Fl, most on the east coast of FL, like the Boca area. One did go to Palm Springs.

Respected Contributor

On 3/1/2015 brewhaha said:

Colorado. Legalized weed.

So does Alaska and Washington.

Honored Contributor

Sanibel Island...but just from January thru the end of Red Sox Spring Training.

Otherwise, I love where I live...snow and all!

Trusted Contributor

Gotta stay close to the kids and grandkids. I'll stay put.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/1/2015 ID2 said:

We are retiring this year to our lovely new cottage in upper MI. We've had it for years and just recently knocked the old place down and re-built a beautiful new cottage.....our dream. We just listed our home beginning today and by August we're outta here!

C'mon up!

I'm thinking about making one last move and paying it off before I retire. Probably out a little farther.

Honored Contributor

On 3/1/2015 traveler said:
On 3/1/2015 brewhaha said:

Colorado. Legalized weed.

So does Alaska and Washington.

Hmmmm...food for thought {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Seriously though...

Washington...Hummingbirds and close to Alaska at the same time. We'd love to see the grizzly bears every year!

Jackson Hole, WY area or in Montana on the north side of Yellowstone National Park. We love the park and would go there often, and we love the views/locations...

North about 15 miles from where we are here in Nebraska...if we had $$$ to move now we would...to have an old farmhouse on 20+ acres would be ideal. Birding in this state is fun!

Outside of the US - Costa Rica (the vast variety of species of Hummingbirds), England (we just love everything about the country...we also mainly watch BBC shows too), Bermuda (the most beautiful place I have ever been in my entire life!)

Super Contributor

On 3/1/2015 traveler said:

We are thinking about this now. We don't want a conservative state run by republicans so many states have been crossed off our list.

We are going through the same thing right now and doing alot of research as to what states will be the kindest (financially) to a retiree and most of the red states are the best places to live as far as taxation on pensions, social security, etc. Remember, your money has to last! We currently live in Southern California, a mile from the beach, and we have lived in our home for 30years but, sadly, we cannot afford to stay here because of the very high taxes in this state. The only kind thing to retirees here is the weather. (Our gas just went up $1 a gallon in the last two weeks!) Cost of housing here is very, very, very high which has been great for us but very hard to move here and even, for us, to downsize. Del Webb just opened a new retirement village here and the homes start at $750,000 and go up to $1 million and over. We are now rethinking about moving somewhere in the South (though the snow everywhere has really thrown us off) and then rent a place in the wintertime somewhere warmer if we do have a harsh winter.