Valued Contributor

Any other Dumpster Divers out there?

Last week before the snow hit, I took my items to the recycling bins and in the newspaper/magazine bin someone had dumped about 100 decorating magazines ( Country Sampler, Victorian Homes, Romatic Homes, etc.) I immediately began to fish them out. In order to do this I had to climb up on the fender wells of the unit and hang myself way in the dumpster...the whole time hoping no one saw me. These magazines were like new and some dated from 2007, but I don't care about the date. Finally, I had to give up on the last 20 or 30 that were too far down, as I was in fear of falling in and definitly would not be able to get out. Any other divers and "curb goody" robbers out there?

Honored Contributor

Re: Any other Dumpster Divers out there?

I still have a wooden dresser in my bedroom that my college boyfriend found on the street back in 1974.

It's been painted many times...now it's white with distressing on the edges.

I have gotten picture frames and wooden kitchen chairs on the street - but most of my finds are from attics at estate sales in old, wealthy neighborhoods.

Esteemed Contributor

Your post brings back great memories of my Aunt who recently passed. She would visit, go up and down the street on trash pick up day and find things. Then a few minutes later all loaded up she would bring me GIFTS. I usually declined and told her to take them home and enjoy them herself. Well one of the items was an old sofa, very small and ornate. I kept it, had it painted and had the seat redone. It looks to be Victorian in style. I still have it many years later and I think of her.

I come from a long line of family members who attended auctions. My grandfather would go, place HIS FINDS in the barn and my grandmother would sneak in and dump the items. SHE SAID SHE WANTED NEW THINGS ONCE IN HER LIFE. VERY FUNNY OVERALL. NO HARM INTENDED.

Super Contributor

I picked up 2 oak French doors (HEAVY) that someone threw out. My son added front/back hinges and made a room divider out of them. Unreal.

Respected Contributor

Too old to go dumpster diving, but I do enjoy frequenting Consignment stores and resale shops for interesting things - no room for more furniture. We've found some wonderful things in furniture and sold our existing things there also. DH likes contemporary and I like very traditional things, so we had to make lots of compromises. It's fun to rummage, isn't it?

My favorite thing, I think, in accessories is one of those gemstone globes that usually sell for about $400.00. It's a large one and gorgeous, in perfect condition. Got it for $47.00. Looks wonderful in my office.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't dumpster dive per se but I do look in garbage cans at stores and gas stations for cans and bottles on my walks to recycle. Don't get much for a lot of people are doing the same. I then go to thrift stores and buy tops for a couple of dollars like new or new.

Honored Contributor

No, one man's trash is not my treasure.

Respected Contributor

Not me personally, but a few years back my SIL worked for the county landfill driving the huge machinery. For a while he was able to scavenge some really good stuff. I was shocked at the stuff the big box stores would take to the landfill. Clothes, furniture, you name it. Apparently it was more cost effective for them to dispose of the stuff that didn't sell rather than donate it because they would have to pay someone to do the bookkeeping and claim the items on their books. He gave me a porch swing that needed a little sprucing up. Years later I still love that swing. I've sanded and painted it a couple of times, and still use it.

Super Contributor

I have not actually ""dumpster dived"" but if there was something good in there that I had to have/check out---I believe I would dive right in! LOL! I do enjoy Goodwill finds. Hope you enjoy the magazines!

Honored Contributor

I would never dumpster dive and don't frequent yard sales or second hand shops, looking to down size, but I applaud people who do.