Honored Contributor

I took a bit of good natured ribbing about my 'unmentionables' thread, so here goes something else many may never have thought of.

If you live in an area of the country where you have basements (we do) and are prone to storms like tornadoes or severe wind storms, do you have your basement 'prepared' for emergency.

By this, I mean, having things in your basement to ride out a storm, and if the home is damaged, have things to help when you come up out after disaster has struck.

We have battery operated lighting and extra batteries (flashlights, lanterns, flameless candles), blankets (to cover ourselves if cold or splintering glass etc.) shoes (in case we have to run down in the middle of the night. I have seen people coming up out of shelters and basements after houses have been leveled, barefoot, and how hard and dangerous is that?), extra clothing is stored down there anyway, off season. We also store our camping equipment, small propane stove, tent, camp kitchen etc. normally, so could be helpful in a disaster like this. I have even taken down a supply of OTC meds, first aid supplies,some water (we store lots of food down there, not much room in the kitchen), as well as some paper towels, Clorox wipes, trash bags and things like that. We even have a camping potty and the chemicals stored down there that we used for camping.

While not likely to happen, every spring and summer, tornadoes and similar high wind storms take away people's homes, and level small towns. Watching it on TV again and again made me think that I might be wise to have some things down there, that should the rest of the house sustain severe damage, we might need in the hours after the disaster, until help arrived or we could get out.

What I'm missing, an old pair of eyeglasses for each family member. We are very dependent on those, and the next time we get glasses, I'm going to rotate the old ones to the basement.

Anyone else do this, or ever contemplate the need to?

Esteemed Contributor

We live in a hurricane prone area but we haven't had a bad one in several years.
I do believe that we become complacent and forget just how important being prepared can be.
Also, new persons that have moved to a new area haven't a clue.
Thanks for reminding all of us of the importance of "necessary" items.

Esteemed Contributor

I started to get better prepared over the last few winters. The ice storms and power outages are what prompted me to do more. We are lucky enough to have a fireplace for heat (if needed) and I have enough flameless candles around so we are not in the dark. The battery supply I am trying to keep in stock. I did buy a Coleman Lantern with panels so every family member can have a panel to get to the bathroom and back. This year I have been focusing on our food supply. I started to stock up on some of the canned items so we have some "thing" that we can eat. I am really interested in some packaged food that lasts well beyond a year. This is one of the main items I am missing. Now, I'm just waiting for a sale to purchase a beginning supply of "add water" and heat food items. I just want to have the basics--just so we are somewhat prepared.

Respected Contributor

I don't have a basement, but I do have a full bathroom in the middle of the house (no windows). That serves as my storm shelter. Since the tub/shower doesn't get used, that's where I keep my storm supplies which consists of water, some canned foods, pet foods, battery/crank powered weather radio as well as battery powered lights and a fat max emergency power supply. During tornado season, I keep a futon mattress in there to pull over our heads and a couple of cat crates.

You mentioned you have a propane camping stove. I hope you don't plan to use it if you're trapped in the basement as it's not safe to use in enclosed area due to carbon monoxide.

Esteemed Contributor

For those of us who live rural it's more of a necessity. Having lived in major metro cities you learn quickly that you just can't ""run to the corner"" for milk & bread.

I keep a deep pantry and freezer. It's become second nature and I rotate stock so very little goes to waste. The other bonus is that I only grocery shop once or twice a month.

we don't get tornadoes up here often but winters can be brutal along with summer storms that roll in off Lake Michigan. When power goes out it can be out for several days so backup heating and a way to heat a meal are essential. Along with stored water if your well pump is out.

I tend to think about likely scenarios to get prepared for and work from that list.

Frequent Contributor
We have flashlights and candles within reach if we need to go into the basement. Live in the Midwest. As for food and water, we have never had to stay down there for too long. For our lake house in Michigan, I do have battery operated lanterns in every bedroom and in other areas of the house. It is rural, but we haven't had any bad storms when we are there on the weekends. However, we have been there in the winter and that is another story. The house is in the snow belt. Being there in a blizzard is amazing and kind of fun.
Valued Contributor

Living in tornado alley, it seems we are sent to the basement just about every couple weeks with warnings. I have heavy blankets and a helmet for myself and the Dottie Dog. (My husband is usually upstairs watching for it.) We have water bottles down there too. But upstairs I keep a list in a drawer with things to grab at the first sign of trouble. It has the wind-up radio and flashlight, and then lists my purse, meds, phone, battery lantern, dog food, and money from the safe. I start gathering at the first sign of trouble. I guess if we had to scrounge around in the basement more after one hit, we could find some clothes and food. (but I better get a manual can opener down there{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} or the food would not do us any good.)

Honored Contributor
I use my basement to store food as I have a very large kitchen pantry down there. We drink bottled water and store extra cases down there too. Our camping equipment, sleeping bags, bins of warm clothing, etc is there. I never thought about it before, but it's good to be prepared for an emergency. We do not usually have weather emergencies here, except for flooding once in a while. There is always a first time for anything. Thanks for the posting... It got me thinking.
Respected Contributor

I live in an earthquake-prone area and keep a backpack three-day emergency supply for each person which probably isn't sufficient, but I have no place to store barrels of water. Battery-operated candles take care of our occasional power outages that usually last no more than ten hours.

Honored Contributor
On 3/1/2015 Carmie said: I use my basement to store food as I have a very large kitchen pantry down there. We drink bottled water and store extra cases down there too. Our camping equipment, sleeping bags, bins of warm clothing, etc is there. I never thought about it before, but it's good to be prepared for an emergency. We do not usually have weather emergencies here, except for flooding once in a while. There is always a first time for anything. Thanks for the posting... It got me thinking.

So glad that it sparked a thought! Used to be one couldn't talk about this topic for fear of being called a 'wacko' or 'prepper', but even the government is now asking people to be sure they can take care of themselves for at least a few days in the event of a disaster.

Katrina kind of changed that for everyone.