Super Contributor

Please someone tell me how I can like hardwood floors. I live in an apartment that is thoroughly hardwood. I have dusted them with the Swifter and will not buy any kind of power operated device to use but they still don't appeal to me. I think it's the constant dusting that I have to do to keep them looking nice. I am looking for another place to move to but a lot of the choices have, guess what, hardwood floors. How do I get to like hardwood? I have seen Alberti's blog where he pictures his Christmas tree and the hardwood floors around it and they look nice. Not too extensive. I feel like I'm living in a forest. Help.

Honored Contributor

Re: how to like hardwood floors

I have hardwood in my dining room and yes, in my opinion it requires extra up keep. I live in the midwest...way to cold here to have hardwood throughout the house and plus you do have to be careful about water spots and scratches. I don't think you can be 'convinced' to like it, you either do or don't....and it is noisy when walking on it......I'll keep my wall to wall carpet.....maybe large area rugs would help, I think that is a nice look.

Frequent Contributor

Sorry to hear you don't like your floors. We love our hardwood floors. Are your floors very dark?I always feel that the dark floors could look very dusty. We have hardwood floors in both of our houses. I clean them with Bona cleaner for hardwood. I also run the vacuum over them using the suction setting only, not the brush. Area rugs help with traffic areas and look cosy. Hope this helps. ??
Honored Contributor

Sometimes no matter how hard we try to like something, no matter how open minded we have tried to be about it, we just don't like it.

Can you pin point why you don't like them? It is because they are scratched, stained or just not in good condition?

Is it because they are cold on your feet. Is it because they can be easily marked up by pets, kids, shoes, moving furniture etc.?

Do you think they 'clash' with the furniture, other woods, or style of decor in your home?

Some things might help you learn to tolerate and maybe have a change of heart eventually.

Dust seems to be an issue with you, and I know when wood floors are dusty/dirty, it drives me nuts. I'd suggest that if you already don't, you need to clean the floors daily. Not sure about what all kinds of Swifter cleaning things are out there, but you will get best results if you can dry dust mop to get up the 'big' stuff, then go over the floors with a damp mopping device of some kind. I use a microfiber unit from Don Aslett. It doesn't have to take a long time, and won't if done daily or so. Perhaps you are letting the floors go too many days, and the dust is harder to deal with than if you did it daily. I believe to really get the dust up, you need some water (just damp) on cloth.

Try some large area rugs similar to Royal Palace sold here, to break up the areas that seem so vast and empty, if that is a problem you are seeing. Built your seating arrangements around a nice rug, and see if the look of combining fabric and wood is appealing to you.

It might help to remind yourself that hard floor surfaces are easier to clean and keep free of dust mites, and germs and bacteria than carpeted surfaces, so they may be healthier for you.

Best wishes in looking for a new place, and I hope you can find a solution to your flooring issues, I know it can be frustrating when you don't have exactly what you are looking for.

Honored Contributor

I love hardwood and prefer mopping to vacuuming, so maintenance isn't an issue to me. I do have robot cleaner that I use for the upstairs hardwood. It gets under the bed much better than I've been able to do as I've gotten older.

Esteemed Contributor

I have hardwood throughout my home -- even the kitchen -- and I love it. I cannot imagine living with wall-to-wall carpet.

In the beginning, I was worried about every ding and scratch. Now, I just ignore it and realize that it gives the floors character.

Using nice rugs (none of them match) throughout my home keeps things quiet and softens the rooms. I remove those rugs for cleaning now and again. Honestly, I don't even notice dust gathering anywhere, but I do vacuum weekly and mop my kitchen floor and other areas.

To me, it's much easier to maintain that carpeting.

Super Contributor

It's probably just the extra care these floors need. Dusting daily to me is a chore. With vacuuming you need only do it once a week. These floors need constant attention. They are not a dark wood but a medium like pecan colored but the square footage of the apartment is large and it seems dust is the big problem here. In our former place my husband did the vacuuming once a week. We do have some area remnants but where the remnant ends the dust shows up. I'm constantly battling dust. I do also use the Don Anslett mop occasionally but mostly use the Swifter wet mop pads. Thanks for all your responses.

Honored Contributor

I will take my carpets any day of the seek!!!

Honored Contributor

I see hard wood floors in my future. You can get room size rugs at Lowe's or home depot that won't break the bank. Get the biggest one you can.
Esteemed Contributor

I love hardwoods ( not in the baths) and only dry dust mop them twice a week (because of dog hair). Every once in a while I will clean them by squirting some Murphy's oil soap on them in the traffic areas.