Occasional Contributor

What to do with articles, clippings that I want to save.....

I need a boost from my fellow organizers out there. I have dozens of inspirational articles, pictures of decorating styles I like, etc from magazines and newspapers. How do you organize these? I know Pinterest allows me to "save" items that I find on the web, but many of my pics/articles are from 5+ years ago. I'm not even inclined to look at them when they're in a pile or stuffed in a file folder. I could use some pointers. Thank you {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

Re: What to do with articles, clippings that I want to save.....

Get yourself some acid-free paper, scrapbook, and mounting materials. Michael's has all kinds of these acid-free items.

Then when everything is nicely mounted in your scrapbook you will be able to look at all these materials easily, and they'll stay nice and pristine for a long time. I have scrapbooks like this for my grandchildren, and also special vacations I've taken.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Honored Contributor

I agree with Divine. I have different ones for beauty, home and recipes.

Honored Contributor

Take pictures of them with your cell phone or camera; post on Pinterest forever organized and there to even share if you want to!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I'm trying to de-paper my life & have lots of knitting patterns from various sources. The most recent ones I slip into one of those clear plastic page protectors which are organized into a 3-ring binder. The older stuff gets scanned to file in my pc. I'm also trying to get all my personal papers scanned to file with the goal of putting on CD as back-up which I'd regularly update. I want some of this stuff available to my daughter & other family members should I become incapacitated.

Respected Contributor

Newspaper yellows, you need to spray them with de-acidification spray first. This is of course only for items that are special to you. Acid free paper and mounting tape that is also acid free. ATG gold is my favorite. If you are using mylar to incapsulate it, only special mylar is acid free.

Honored Contributor

I cut out lots of stuff from magazines for decorating ideas mostly, but also includes paint samples and other things...I have a folder with several sections that I organize my clippings into, but divided by holiday, bed rooms, baths, etc. Every now and then I go thru it to throw away what no longer interests me. I am a bit of a crafty person so I use the pictures for inspiration when nothing comes to mind

Honored Contributor

I think if you have newspaper articles from 5+ years chances are you are probably not going to look at them again. I went thru and got rid of probably all of the recipes I ha. saved.

The special ones I scanned and saved to Google Docs, where you can access it from any computer and share

Honored Contributor

I have had a big problem with this too You have to simply go through them and get rid of a lot of them. Think about how things in your life change, how your tastes change, and learn to let go. The sad truth is there is only so much you can organize.

I have gone through and done this in the past month, and frankly, I won't miss any of the things I got rid of. I don't even remember what I got rid of! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

One more thing

My spouse would tear out stuff from newspaper, we recently cleared out some folders from the basement. He had travel stuff saved from 10 years ago, pointed out that current info is now available online and no need to save this stuff.

That sound you hear is me tossing it all.