Trusted Contributor

Dyson…..does anything last and really work these days?

I have the Dyson Canister, have had it for about one year now. The brush head stopped working about 6 months ago and the company sent me a new one. Today as I was vacuuming, again the brush head stopped working and the vacuum is not picking anything up. I checked for clogs, everything is clear, but not working.

I get so tired of this. Why do things fall apart, especially when they are this expensive? Anyone else having issues with their Dyson?

Respected Contributor

Re: Dyson…..does anything last and really work these days?

I don't own a Dyson, but I would contact them and ask to send you another one. As much as that plastic machinery costs, it should last longer than that.

Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

I had the canister Dyson....it weighed a ton...was difficult to maneuver around.. I hated it but it was too late and too expensive to send back...

Dummy me ordered the stick Dyson....hoping for better luck...when it stopped picking up I took the brush head off and cleaned it real good....it worked better then before....but it still doesn't pick up like they boast about...

Can't afford to trade out again....but you can bet I will NEVER buy another Dyson....

Trusted Contributor

Sounds to me like many of us are having problems with these Dysons. I am going to call the corporate office and complain. Perhaps to some people, $500.00 is not much, but to me it is a good amount of money to spend on an item that you hope will last a few years. I think as soon as I can, I will buy a Shark Powered Lift Away machine that so many people love and are happy with.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know squat about Dyson's but being I just had that problem with my Oreck, the brush wasn't turning and it wasn't picking stuff up very well and it dawned on me to check the belt that turns the brush, it had broken, had to replace it. Like I said I don't know squat about Dyson's or if they even have a belt that turns the brush but if so could that be the problem?

Trusted Contributor

shaggygirl, that could be the problem, I really don't know. But this is the second brush head that has broken.

Respected Contributor

I don't think Dysons have belts. That was one of the reasons I bought it. I have the upright ball animal. It's still doing a good job after 5 years.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure now if you mean the brush just stopped spinning or if it actually broke. But if you mean it just didn't spin around anymore then it wouldn't be a broken belt (if your model even has one) if the new one they sent you did spin around when you first put it in the vac.

Contributor

I have had a dyson canister since it came out around 5 years ago. I now live in a home with more tile floors than carpet and I love mine because it does both. I don't find it hard to maneuver at all - just lift up the hose so the "nose" of the vacuum is off the floor and pull it. I am someone who likes a clean home and I vacuum frequently, always with my dyson. We also have an old Oreck that my DH prefers for some reason.

Regular Contributor

I purchased a reconditioned Electrolux at Big Lots, I called the company about the warranty and they said they would give me 5 years just like a new one. At a fraction of the cost of a Dyson, and I forget, but if not half close to half of a new version of the Electrolux, it really wasn't worth buying an expensive vac when you could end up just buying cheaper ones for what one ultra brand would cost. Prior to this I had Eureka vacuums, well one day I had problems and brought it in to a service center (under warranty), well the guy there talked me into a Simplicity giving me $100 off turning in the Eureka. Worst vacuum I ever had, while I have never seem Consumer Reports review them, they always get the worst repair record under the repair history listing. (Of course didn't know this until after I bought it.)