Honored Contributor

How many days worth of 'unmentionables' do you keep for each person in you household?

Maybe a little off topic for this forum, but since it is part of running a household (for most women and moms anyway) I thought I'd take a survey here.

I try to keep a minimum of two weeks worth of underwear, socks type clothing for each member of the family. My husband has more than anyone else, he probably has at least a month's worth or more, my son has switched over to liking expensive Under Armor socks and underwear (underwear are $20 per pair{#emotions_dlg.scared}) so he has about two weeks only now.

For me, I have a lot of socks (many I seem to never wear) enough underwear for about two to three weeks, and I have to admit the bra department is pitiful again. I did have quite a few, but need to get to the store and restock, as I'm down to about 3.

I prefer, as a matter of running a household, to have more than less in this area. It helps me out for doing laundry when we are having wet season (septic system) (although I do it daily), if someone needs/wants to travel on a moments notice, I don't have to worry about running a load of laundry, or if I get behind on laundry, people aren't standing in my face at 6 am asking where the clean underwear is!!!

Do you have a preference about how you keep your family members stocked in these areas, and why?

Honored Contributor

Re: How many days worth of 'unmentionables' do you keep for each person in you household?

Well, its only myself and hubby here, I imagine we both have over 2 weeks worth. I do laundry 2-3 times per week, so we never get close to running out. Interesting question.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Re: How many days worth of 'unmentionables' do you keep for each person in you household?

I could go a month or more, but there are days when I might wear three pairs of socks/underwear. I dress for work, change for the gym, shower and put new socks on. In the spring/summer I don't need as many socks.

Honored Contributor

Probably three weeks worth. Socks are a different story though. I have a weakness for socks and have many.
Respected Contributor

I wonder where people come up with the idea to post such questions.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/22/2015 sparklestar said:

I wonder where people come up with the idea to post such questions.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

lol me too..............interesting answers though,cause I never thought about it and I am an old lady my family grown and gone,even great grand children . It never crossed my mind.

Honored Contributor

I wonder where people come up with the idea to post such questions.

As I said ""interesting question"". But I was willing to play along and answer.

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

nothing wrong with the question....at least its something different...not the constant beauty questions...or what LR is doing....

as for myself...and there is only me....I probably have a months worth....easily...and I do laundry at least once or twice a week...so I am never without...

Honored Contributor

On 2/22/2015 MalteseMomma said:

I wonder where people come up with the idea to post such questions.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

lol me too..............interesting answers though,cause I never thought about it and I am an old lady my family grown and gone,even great grand children . It never crossed my mind.

sparklestar, bored and snowed in, need something new to talk about, posting lately here has been rather sparse.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

And I guess I never thought anyone who raised a family wouldn't think about this, as having enough of these kinds of things makes life easier for the 'mom' of the house.

I actually approach most of my household this same way. I have calculated what I think I require as 'enough' (to be determined individually based on a persons needs and lifestyle) in linens, bath towels, blankets, food storage, kitchen ware (especially pots and pans, serving pieces etc.) shoes and coats (clothing in general for each member of the family) etc. For instance, I don't like my kid to have less than 3 pair of tennis shoes at a time. One is usually junk, to wear out in the mud and such, one is for every day, and one for when he is cleaned up and needs to look decent. Any less, and I'm in a 'panic'. He only ever needs one pair of dress shoes at any given time, because he almost never dresses up. And for his jeans, minimum 5 pair, one for each school day, but I'd prefer more like 8. I like to have one or two clothing items in reserve brand new for him, as a teen can trash things in no time at all, and you don't know it till it's time to head out the door!

I have the desire to be prepared for the frequent power outages we have here (of course when there are about 3 loads of laundry to be done), or when it is wet here, we can't run too much water through the septic, so I can have to go several days at a time and not be able to do the laundry, and when I can, maybe only 1 load every other day or so. things can get backed up pretty quickly.

Respected Contributor

I thought it was an interesting question. I like reading about the different ways posters run their lives. Just the two adults here and we probably have ten day's worth each. I seldom have a power outage that lasts longer than one day and that's the result of aging equipment in our town as opposed to weather. When I used to work long, long hours and six or seven days per week, I kept a month's worth of clothes, towels and sheets because I didn't have much time for laundry. Yes, there were mountains in my laundry room sometimes. These days, though, I'm almost always home on the weekends and can wash everything.