Respected Contributor

. . . my bedroom window cracked last night! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

In Michigan our low last night was well below zero, my thermostat was set at 67 and my furnace was pumping almost nonstop all night. Just before my alarm was set to go off, I heard a BANG. At first I didn't think too much of it; when it's this bitter cold the building pops and groans at times. Then I started hearing smaller, short noises that I would describe as a type of "ripping" noise, every 10-20 seconds. After several minutes it stopped. When the sun came up I looked out and the inside pane of my double-pane window was cracked from top to bottom! Evidently the window frame warped or was out of alignment somehow.

The windows are less than 18 mos. old so hopefully they are under warranty. I put some clear packing tape over the crack and will stop at the hardware store on my way home from work and get one of those plastic film window insulating kits. The window company is coming out in a week to replace the window.

Respected Contributor

Scary indeed. Wish you luck with any warranty.

Valued Contributor
Wow! That's scary !
Super Contributor

So sorry to read this. It is just to dam*n cold this winter!

Honored Contributor

I hope it's not a sign of bad luck.

Honored Contributor
Do you keep curtains or shades closed on the window most of the time? When I keep my bedroom shades drawn for days, I end up with frost on the inside of the window. The air doesn't get to circulate.
Trusted Contributor

WOW - I thought I heard that same noise last night - and I have almost window 'walls' in my hut. I better go back and check my windows. There was so much condensation on the windows this morning between showers and cooking - I looked around but not much.

Respected Contributor
On 2/20/2015 graycatsrule said: Do you keep curtains or shades closed on the window most of the time? When I keep my bedroom shades drawn for days, I end up with frost on the inside of the window. The air doesn't get to circulate.

I have a shade and insulating curtains on this particular window, but I open them every morning because it's one of my cats' favorite windows to look out of. There's a tree just outside with a lot of bird activity, plus people and traffic going by.

I put some clear packing tape along the crack and got one of those clear plastic film window insulating kits and put that over the inside window frame until they can get here to fix it. The last couple nights were bitterly cold as well with lots of loud pops and booms in the structure, but so far the rest of my windows are intact.

Valued Contributor

Below 0* here this morning. We keep all the shades down, we think it helps. Cat does not like it at all. At least the sun is out. She loves to find herself a sunny spot and lounge. So cute.

Honored Contributor

But as a disclaimer and in the interest of state pride:

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~