Esteemed Contributor

If you need to hire a care agency~

Please don't hire a Care agency that doesn't take out your caregiver's taxes. They call us self employed, which is a joke!! We pay 15% on the taxes they withheld! I had no coverage, of any kind. This is all to the advantage of the agency. I doubt anyone would want to know that their loved one's caregiver was not only underpaid, but the agency makes twice the amount they charge, maybe more. I was misled by other claims as well..I have been doing this for several years, this last agency was the last, and the worst! I won't be doing caregiving anymore. I now know why so many are quitting! Its a thankless job, sometimes we're treated as servants! I did this job because I WAS compassionate and being trained in Nursing, it was my job to help others. So sad, that these agencies that portray themselves as caring are just the opposite. I really needed to vent. I had my taxes done yesterday and I've been upset ever since. In the past I have worked for other agencies that ARE caring and they take care of their employees, just do your homework. I wish I had! Ask for referrals from previous clients, what their caregivers are paid, their coverage etc. Thanks for letting me vent! I feel I've been abused..my accountant agreed..he said its all about the money~

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you need to hire a care agency~

n/m

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

Why does it state ""happy housewife"" last reply but I don't see her reply?

Trusted Contributor

When we were using an agency to obtain caregivers to help care for my mother before her death from Alzheimer's, we were appalled to learn of the abuses of some of the major agencies. We were amazed at the low pay and long hours. Some of the agencies expected their workers to be available "on a dime" for any work engagement that came up. If they had already worked 40+ hours during the week, they still expected them to accept work assignments on the weekend. If they didn't accept the work assignments, they considered them "not serious about working". Really, they didn't want them to have the time or energy to look elsewhere! Many of these wonderful workers were immigrants who had no other job training or opportunities, and the agency exploited their need for work with little allowance for personal or family time, burnout, or exhaustion. Our family finally had to insist that the excellent person caring for Mom during the week NOT be worked during the weekend so she could continue to give Mom excellent care.

There are many abuses, and the agencies skirt laws by having their caregivers work as "independent contractors". But they won't be given assignments unless they meet the agency's demands. Awful.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/20/2015 sparklestar said:

Because she was her usual self...sunshine and light....and got poofed....twice.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

On 2/20/2015 betteb said:

Because she was her usual self...sunshine and light....and got poofed....twice.

Ohhhhhh. Thanks for explaining.

Respected Contributor

Why does it state "happy housewife" last reply but I don't see her reply?

Because she was her usual self...sunshine and light{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}....and got poofed....twice.

Meaning what, she's two people?

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/20/2015 esmeraldagooch said:

Why does it state "happy housewife" last reply but I don't see her reply?

Because she was her usual self...sunshine and light{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}....and got poofed....twice.

Meaning what, she's two people?

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

What the heck? Writes a post as EM, answers herself as HH with nevermind then somehow it gets switched back to EM? Are there more Nic's?

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/20/2015 esmeraldagooch said:

What the heck? Writes a post as EM, answers herself as HH with nevermind then somehow it gets switched back to EM? Are there more Nic's?

When webbie poofs the last post on a thread, it will still say "last reply" by the poofed poster until someone else posts.

HH made a snarky reply to the OP, got poofed, posted it again and got poofed again.