Respected Contributor

Help! Any paint pros out there?

Our home came with an unattractive flat paint and I bought semi gloss to cover. Did the cutting in and rolled a coat (paint with primer) and now all the roller marks show {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Has anyone out there solved a similar problem? I'm losing sleep over this and can't afford to hire a pro. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Cathy

Trusted Contributor

Re: Help! Any paint pros out there?

You should have used a eggshell or satin instead of semi-gloss. You use semi-gloss on the trim.

I just painted bathroom cabinets and used semi-gloss with a foam roller. Turned out great.

I use the small flat pad with little wheels to cut in on walls. Then I take the pad and smooth it out so there is not a noticeable line.

I have done a LOT of painting so I hope this helps.

Valued Contributor

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than myself will answer, but it could be that you would have better luck with a flat, satin, or eggshell finish (all have less "sheen" than semi-gloss which seems to show imprefections in walls, etc)

We use a separate primer first and do put on 2 coats of color. Lastly, we have good luck using either Benjamin Moore or Sherman Williams paint. I do think some paints "level" better than others.

I hope someone else will add some thoughts. Good luck...

Valued Contributor

I see flickerbulb answered as I was typing. I agree that it could be the semi gloss. We cut in with those pads, too..

Respected Contributor

Keep a wet edge and do the whole wall from bottom to top without stopping. We had this problem with very high walls and this was the only way we got a good final product.

Honored Contributor

Glossier finishes show every defect, but generally roller marks shouldn't show. The viscosity of the paint should be low enough that the roller marks will flatten out and not be apparent. I suspect that in this case either the paint was especially thick, or the house environment forced the paint to dry so quickly that the dryer marks didn't get the chance to level out before the paint set. To avoid this in the future following along with a dryer roller after applying the paint might absorb the excess paint and force a smoother finish. Also a finer nap roller might work better on glossier paint.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

I agree with all the other posts - semi-gloss is really hard to apply to walls, too hard to get smooth on large areas. Also, I've found the primer/paint all-in-one paints are thicker than regular paint and are harder to get a smooth finish. If you used a standard roller with any type of nap the roller would make a texture that shows up with semi-gloss paint. It will also make a texture you can feel.

Additionally, if you are making a dramatic change in the color, whether from dark to light or light to dark, the roller marks are going to show with one coat.

You can cover over the semi-gloss, but to get good coverage and paint that won't chip you need a separate primer made for covering glossy surfaces - I use Zinzer, but Kilz works well, too. If you are working with a darker color, you can have the primer tinted the same color as your paint or a medium grey with the same base as your paint - yellow or blue. Tinting the primer means you won't have the optic white to cover and will make the color more true with fewer coats

You don't have to use flat wall paint - a satin or eggshell finish is actually easier to clean than flat paint. Satin has a bit more sheen than eggshell. When you paint on your final wall paint, use a roller with a short nap. Cut in with a brush, make the "W" with your loaded roller, then go back and spread out the paint with up and down strokes. Don't do more than a 4' section at a time, do the bottom half of that section of wall, ending with very light long strokes top to bottom. Make sure to keep a wet edge - don't work with an area that's so big it starts to dry before you get to the next section. Be generous with the paint - don't try and stretch it out. Plan on doing 2 coats. I agree that Sherwin Williams is great to work with - it does self-level, but you have to use enough paint.

Main thing is, you haven't done anything you can't fix yourself.

Honored Contributor

I have always used semi gloss paint and have never had this issue. It sounds to me like the OP either used an incorrect roller cover or tried to stretch the paint too far and did not put enough on. Using semi gloss paint does not make the roller marks show.

Valued Contributor

I wouldn't use semi-gloss on walls. It will show every ding, dent, or drywall tape & nail pop. I prefer Sherwin Williams Super Paint (flat or satin finish) and the best roller & brush they make. When you roll it on, be sure to make your last stroke a continuous on from bottom to top and then top to bottom on the second coat. Try to do one whole wall at a time, don't stop mid-wall and let it dry.

I believe 2 coats are always best for getting good coverage and for washability later.

Use semi-gloss on your trim. I like to do my trim first, but that's me. There is a product called Floetrol that I really like when I'm doing brush work. It is a "paint medium" that you add to the paint that really helps remove brush strokes. I work with a small hand held container with a handel, that SW carries. I fill it about half way with paint and add maybe a half cup od Flotrol, and mix. Don't make a lot at a time as the Flotrol evaporates. You can't add too much or too little because Flotrol only makes the paint flow more evenly. You will feel the difference as you paint and learn how you like the paint to flow on by trial & error. Flotrol doesn't change anything about the paint or color, it just makes it smoother to brush.

Honored Contributor

On 2/20/2015 Libbylady said:

I wouldn't use semi-gloss on walls. It will show every ding, dent, or drywall tape & nail pop.

nm