Honored Contributor

Help, please. I'm so afraid to buy another inferior vacuum cleaner.

I must have purchased at least 10 vacuums in the last 35 years and I've never liked any of them. I'm ready to invest in a good one, but I'm afraid to spend the money and be disappointed.

Can someone tell me if the Dyson vacs are worth the money?

Is there a less expensive alternative to the Dyson?

I read the reviews on the cordless and I've ruled it out. It sounds convenient, but I don't want to be limited by the short battery life.

I have a dog and a long-haired cat... hardwood floors with area rugs and a runner up the stairs and wooden plantation shutters.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Help, please. I'm so afraid to buy another inferior vacuum cleaner.

I have two Electrolux uprights.

I will not stray from this brand.

Honored Contributor

I like Dysons, but I had an old one and it was heavy. It finally died after having it for many years. I will say I got my money out of it. My only complaint is that it was so heavy and I used it frequently. After it stopped working I bought an upright Hoover and it works great. It wasn't what I wanted, but I'm finding it works almost as well as the Dyson.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry....did you miss the Shark one as the TSV just the other day? Great vacuum! Love mine, which we got as a TSV a couple of years ago.

Regular Contributor

""Get a Shark"". I have the lift away that can be used as a upright or a canister with the caddy. Works well picks up LOTS of dirt.( Have 4 cats)

The one here on QVC is a good buy because of all the attachments.

Super Contributor

I have cats and hardwood floors. I have the Dyson animal canister and it's a workhorse. Absolutely worth the price.

Honored Contributor

I bought a Dyson for our small office. Worse purchase I have ever made vac wise. Does not pick up well at all, repeated passes needed, shoots dirt out, ball does not roll smoothly, hose awkward to use. Absolutely not worth the money IMHO.

Had a Simplicity at home...loved it. Needed a new one after 10 years. Second one, total change of quality. Poor results. Too much plastic.

Bought a Shark and love it, love it, love it! Made my Simplicity look like a useless toy.

Esteemed Contributor

Miele. I have had mine for 14 years.

There is an authorized Miele sales and service center in my town. I get my vac tuned up annually for about $25.00- replace belt and filter, clean, etc. I also have a central vac that I use, which certainly has helped my Miele last so long. I have an upright; they come as canisters, too. FYI I have two sons and two dogs to pick up after.

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised at how much I love our Sharks.
Trusted Contributor

On 2/16/2015 Newnick ame said: I'm surprised at how much I love our Sharks.

Me, too! We could build another cat from what is in the canister after one cleaning!