Honored Contributor

The guy that was our best man when we married in 1983 passed away last summer. My DH was born a month earlier than this man and they grew up in the same house - a duplex so they were very close. they always celebrated their birthdays together their entire lives. Anyway, his daughter just sent me a picture from their last birthday celebration - a cake with 69 candles and they are smiling and trying to blow out the candles. So I found a frame that was a double , hinged frame and put a picture of the two of them from our wedding on one side and that picture 31 years later on the other side. They were so close and always happy to be together and this really shows in both pics.They aren't just smiling - but their eyes are laughing too - two great pics - two great memories. When i placed them up on the shelf DH & I both shed a tear. The loses are the worst part of growing older.

Respected Contributor
Indeed
Honored Contributor

You are so right....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

When my husband died suddenly, it was terrible. We'd been married for 38 years. I still miss him terribly.

I keep in my kitchen something that (I think) says it all about just about everyone who was loved dies.

Our loss is not in the life we had with him. Our loss is in the life we could have had with him.

We felt this was especially true of my late husband who was an exceptional human.

Super Contributor

This reminds me of the late, great Jim Croce's song (circa 1972?) "Photographs & Memories". I LOVE THAT SONG! He was The Pride of Philly, a "new artist" with such a Promising Future, and a truly gifted musician, with his words and his songs....his life was snuffed out in a plane crash {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} I was shocked and I truly mourned his passing (I cried for 2 days!) along with his family. I know I was VERY sad to lose him during his rising career, and we truly LOST a true "American Idol" on that day ! {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Honored Contributor

I do think that as we get older we get somewhat numb to it. When I was 19 and my brother died in Viet Nam I thought it was the end of the world. When I was 30 and my DH died I was an emotional wreck to the point of being unable to function for a long time. But as time goes on and more of these loses occur they don't seem to bring on such profound sadness anymore.

Honored Contributor

Photos are the most important (to me) keepsake, and I would forgo keeping most other 'things' in my life, to keep the family photo albums. I prefer them to any other storage media (computer, disk, USB) as I want to have access to them at any time, without needing any other device to see them. They preserve our past and heritage more than any other process, except for possibly the written word, and most people don't write down their family stories and heritage, but most do have pictures.

I spent two years organizing, labeling (with names dates, locations, events, relationships of the people) photos from 4 generations of my family. No one before me had done much with documenting the who, what, where, why, when of it all, and I'm so glad I did, because the people in their 80's and 90's who helped me identify those people and times before I came along are all gone now. Had I put it off any longer, much of the information would have been lost.

Regular Contributor
I too have been busy identifying all the relatives in our photos. I think it is important for my children,grandchildren and my future family members to know their lineage; it's a sense of family.I have so many pictures that I started laminating them and p lace on our Christmas tree. It's a great conversation topic.My photos are my life.
Honored Contributor

For years my DH had a album of someones wedding pictures. Looked to be from around 1940's from the hair and clothes. DH had no idea who the couple were. I asked all my living in laws who they were and no one knew. When we moved and cleared out stuff we decided to throw the album away as we had not a clue who it was or why DH's mom had it in with her pictures. I am still sad that we threw away pictures that someone probably would have treasured.

Honored Contributor

Well written post. Sometimes those pictures can help us remember.