Esteemed Contributor

Anyone wish they could go back to the good old days??

I grew up in the fifities and sixties..we left our doors unlocked..I walked home ALONE from school and the pool! I had lots of girlfriends that lived on my street..and life was good. No fear of getting attacked..(except by the neighbor's dog, lol) no guns at school..we had prayer and the pledge of allegiance daily.

We had one black and white TV and one of my gf's that had color TV would let us watch Bonanza at her house! We had Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter celebrations at school! My mom was a school nurse. My dad worked for TWA,(remember TWA?) so we got to travel the world. I thought this was normal..and took it for granted. I'm thankful that I got to have this life and wish my kids could have the same now. Everything is fear based now..you don't see kids playing outside anymore. Its all about cell phones, texting, computers and meeting online, at least with my grown kids.

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone wish they could go back to the good old days??

The ""good ol days"" weren't always good.

Honored Contributor

No.

For many reasons.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/12/2015 Plaid Pants said:

The "good ol days" weren't always good.

Thats true, but it was better for me in alot of ways. More innocent, I guess. I miss that~

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Trusted Contributor

In a word.................YES!!!

Respected Contributor

No. My life is fine. I have a really lot better/relaxing and rewarding life than I did as a young single woman. On top of that I have a closet full of nice things to wear. As DH is prone to saying, life is good.

Super Contributor

Nope.

Super Contributor

I don't long for the past.

I prefer to live in the here and now.

There have always been crimes committed, it just wasn't on a 24 hour news cycle.

Respected Contributor

I work in a law office. When I started (30 yrs. ago) every attorney had their own secretary. This was before computers. When computers came, everyone was spouting off about a "paperless" office and how much more efficient we would be. Secretaries now work for 3-4 attorneys and have tons more paperwork and computer glitches up the you-know-what. Some things are definitely better, but overall life is much more complicated. I wouldn't miss computers at work and the internet one bit. One thing I don't miss is waiting in long lines at the bank drive-thru to cash my paycheck every payday (before auto-deposit and ATMs and debit cards).

I had a momentary flashback the other day while driving and I heard a car horn. It reminded me of being in high school and sitting on my front porch. When a friend drove by, they would honk to say hi. Now when I hear a car horn it's someone who's angry.

Super Contributor

I don't know, there are some things I miss. Not everything was good back then but there was a lot that was very good.

I remember TWA! The first time I ever flew on a plane with my parents, we flew to visit relatives on a TWA flight. It was so exciting! Everyone dressed up to fly on a plane back then. My father wore a suit, and my mother wore a nice dress and hat. I wore a dress that I usually only wore on Sundays. It was a big deal to fly back then and it was -- dare I say it-- luxurious compared to today! The stewardesses were so polite and chic.

I think people respected each other more and helped each other more. There seemed to be more unity in communities. People took pride in their appearances more, and things were more simple. There was a lot more tradition back then. People watched out for each other. So yes there was a lot of good back then.