Honored Contributor

What is it with birds in home decor?

I've never been a big fan of birds in home decor.

I don't know why, except I don't like live birds to be up close to me. They make me uneasy if they fly too close. I don't like pet birds in the house. I feel sorry for them in cages, I guess.

I do love birds from afar in nature. We live in the country, and we used to feed birds (but it was a death trap for them with three cats living here), and my mom lives next door and feeds them. We love to watch them at the feeders, in the trees, etc. but just not up too close and personal for me.

So, I never much felt the need to bring birds into decor, it just didn't appeal to me. Then, a couple of years ago, I began noticing a different kind of bird decor. The birds didn't look 'real'. They were more a charming caricature of birds. They were more a lovable, cuddly version of birds. Fat and round and 'soft', often done in ceramic or stone, muted colors. They caught my eye, because my mom bought a few and mixed them with her decor. I took the dive and bought one or two. I liked the variety of placements and seasons I could mix them with. They seemed to have personalities (reminds me of when teddy bears were the craze, and the antique looking ones seemed to have individual personalities).

Well, this past fall, I added a primitive black crow to the fall decor, and yesterday, added four more birds, two are metal and mix well with the brown VPH ceramic hurricane with the bird on top I received this week, and two are a dark walnut looking wood finish, much more sophisticated than other's I've purchased, and I'm just looking to create a vignette for them.

I can't figure out how, something I've spent decades truly believing just wasn't my thing, wasn't my style, can become a mini obsession all of a sudden, but it has. I have no intention of buying birds for every room or every holiday or season, but I love the addition of several different styles, the visual depth and whimsy they give to a tired old look of things I've had and love.

Just another reminder to never say never.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is it with birds in home decor?

Oh, and I will say that social media has a hand in my change of heart as well. People posting pics on here, on VPH's facebook, and on some other pages I visit, give such great ideas and makes me look at and consider things I never would have before. I like not being so 'locked in' in my decor ideas anymore. Feels rather freeing.

Respected Contributor

Birds can be beautiful, their color and shape attractive, they also bring a touch of nature inside when used as decor.
Trusted Contributor

I have a lot of friends who are uncomfortable around birds up close as well. I've never been a fan of fake birds, although I did have some ravens and crows in my Halloween decor last year. Bird cages in the home freak me out. It's like having a little prison on your shelf. Aside from the holidays, I generally try not to have artificial versions of things that are found in nature (i.e. animals, plants and flowers).

Valued Contributor

mom, I'm glad you finally "got it". lol When I first started reading your post, I thought you would REALLY dislike my home. To me, birds say nature, which I love and the reason we built our home in the boonies years ago. Each spring I change my decor from the snowmen, pine trees etc. and I bring out the bird decor. I have some white resin birds with nest (VPH) that I put faux robin's eggs in, a cloche with a bird knob on top (Kohl's) that I decorate inside, my collection of white shabby bird houses and some colorful metal ones (mostly gifts from my daughters, sofa pillows with a bird and flower motif, etc. I also mix in faux spring flowers like daffodils and paperwhites. I have these things on my mantle, sofa table, and sprinkled throughout my home. It really says spring after a long dreary winter. I'm so glad you're enjoying yours. I really love mine!

Honored Contributor

Not my favorite either.

Esteemed Contributor

I love birds. I have some birds in my decor.

The 3 white owls that were in my Christmas tree are now scattered through the house. They will be put away soon. I have a few Cardinals that I keep out most of the year. Cardinals are abundant where I live. I just love them.

I have had birds for pets over the years, finches, canaries & parakeets. Not all at the same time.

Over the last few years we have been feeding humming birds. So I'm getting my bird "fix" from them.

We also have red tail hawks that fly right down our street after prey.

Honored Contributor

Birds are commonly found in ancient Oriental art and ceramics, and have been popular in wall papers for a long time. You often see a wingback chair with a beautiful print with a huge bird taking center place of the back. Those are the birds I like. I'm not into the country-inspired birds like in the 1980s.

Honored Contributor

I have never really decorated with animals in general until last year. It's very minimal, but I do have a couple things.
Respected Contributor

I'm another who only wants to view live birds from afar, but I love the graphical silhouettes of birds used in design.