Valued Contributor

When something you love does not match your decor

do you buy it anyway? I absolutely loved these ornate metalic gold hurricane candle holders I saw at Tuesday Morning. They had a bunch of colorful (plastic) jewels. I know it would be so beautiful lit up but it doesn't go with a single thing any place in my house. I didn't buy them. I'm not even usually interested in a lot of "stuff" but these really caught my eye and I'm still thinking about them. I wonder what other people do in this situation.
Valued Contributor

Re: When something you love does not match your decor

Grrrr! Would not let me edit Smiley Sad. They were Moroccan! Smiley Wink
Respected Contributor

There are some people who say to buy anything you really love and it will fit somewhere in your house. Personally, I think long and hard about where I might use an item before I purchase it. In your case, could the hurricanes be used on the patio table in the summer? Or could they go in a bathroom atop the toilet tank or side of the tub?

Respected Contributor

Are you kidding? If you are still thinking about them, you really liked them. Get over there tomorrow and get those candle holders!! Your home should be a reflection of YOU. Eclectic homes are comfortable and reflect a person's interests, taste and personality. Don't worry about what "goes." Make yourself happy.
Honored Contributor

If you love them, they belong in your home.

Honored Contributor

I cannot imagine any decor in which you could not create a magical vignette that you loved as a focal point in a room. That is what makes decor interesting. Make it your own. We traveled a lot and I got a lot from grandparents and mom, and our decor is very well done and it screams that it is our unique home. It is very traditional but has many vignettes eluding to our heritage, our travels and art from our own family members. That is what makes it beautiful. Not the big box stores, the high-end department stores or anything else. You make it special.

Honored Contributor

Any way you can use them outside on your patio or deck? Do you have an outdoor sitting/eating area? Add a few matching colorful pillows and have a Moroccan theme going on.

Trusted Contributor

It's called ""eclectic"" decor. It's my style and I really love it. Buy what ""speaks"" to you.

Member Since 11/20/2008
Respected Contributor

I can never pass up buying something I instantly love. It happens so rarely. Just think how much you will enjoy looking at them.

Honored Contributor

When something doesn't go with my decor, I either dye it, paint it or antique it. When I'm finished, it goes with my decor.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment