Honored Contributor

You know that mansion that burned to the ground?

I heard yesterday the cause was a dried out Christmas tree that caught fire. Don't know if they were still lighting it or not. Moral, get your tree down!

Trusted Contributor

Re: You know that mansion that burned to the ground?

It was reported the tree was lit continuously. The Fire Marshall is STILL wondering if the electrical system failed and if that is a possible reason for the fire spreading so fast. The house was a Smart House monitored with a computer. I am still baffled as to why they did not get the sprinkler system ... we have a 25 story high-rise in the area that does NOT have a sprinkler system - every year they pay a fine in lieu of installing a sprinkler.

Regular Contributor

I think they did say that the tree was two months old. Fifteen foot. Must have gone up like a torch. Very sad situation because it was totally preventable.
Respected Contributor

...awful. It shouldn't have happened. Every that could go wrong did go wrong. They had to know the tree was bone dry, I wonder why they would keep the lights burning on it continuously and why was there no sprinkler system in such a big, spacious, new home. They said the house itself contributed to the rapid spread of the fire. Huge rooms with very high ceilings meant there was lots of oxygen to feed the fire. Real tree or fake tree, we never go to bed with any Christmas lights on. Never did.

Honored Contributor

On 1/30/2015 Pie1993 said:

It was reported the tree was lit continuously. The Fire Marshall is STILL wondering if the electrical system failed and if that is a possible reason for the fire spreading so fast. The house was a Smart House monitored with a computer. I am still baffled as to why they did not get the sprinkler system ... we have a 25 story high-rise in the area that does NOT have a sprinkler system - every year they pay a fine in lieu of installing a sprinkler.

Single-family homes and multi-family or commercial buildings usually don't have the same building or fire codes to follow. Most people won't pay for something that's not required by law, which is why most homes don't have sprinklers. Further, if codes change after a home was built, a single-family residence would most likely be grandfathered in and would not need to make improvements to meet new codes unless the home underwent a renovation and needed a permit.

I live in an apartment where a state inspector checks the smoke alarms and replaces the fire extinguisher in the kitchen once a year. If you live in a single-family home, that just doesn't happen - it's up to the home owner to do that.

Valued Contributor

It sounds like the news reports are conflicting. I heard that it was the outlet that the tree was plugged into started the problem, and the tree caught fire.

Contributor

On 1/30/2015 Anniecamp said:

It sounds like the news reports are conflicting. I heard that it was the outlet that the tree was plugged into started the problem, and the tree caught fire.

I live not too far from that home and our local news was reporting this as well-an outlet was to blame and caught fire to the dried out tree.

Esteemed Contributor

I have fire alarms in my house, every floor (part of my security system). I also have fire extinguishers and a folding ladder (upstairs way out). I didn't even think about a sprinkler system. I wonder if they are expensive.

Sad case a few years back. Couple near my daughter in NJ called the fire department more than three times. Said they smelled burning. Fire department could not find it and assured them all was fine.

That night major fire and deaths of some of their children who were trapped. It was an electrical fire.

Valued Contributor

Valesq, since that versions is from your local news, I would believe it to be more accurate. I've noticed when something happens where I live, by the time the national news announces it, it's inaccurate. They even do that with the weather, LOL!

Honored Contributor

On 1/30/2015 Valesq said:
On 1/30/2015 Anniecamp said:

I live not too far from that home and our local news was reporting this as well-an outlet was to blame and caught fire to the dried out tree.

That is my understanding as well, though I wonder how they deduce that when the destruction was so complete. Then, as others have said, the large, dry tree and vast indoor spaces supplying oxygen fueled the fire.