Honored Contributor

Misc. don't know where to put this discussion. What do you do with crafts you create?

I don't know what craft to try now. I don't even feel like I have a direction anymore to go. Maybe I'll just pass on it now.

Any pointers from anyone on how you chose your craft? I guess if there's a need or purpose, I'm not sure there's enough interest any more to do one. That makes me feel lousy. Wonder if a trip to Michael's might spark something in me if I see it.

Feel kind of sad. Not sure what I'd like to do now. I'd like to do something!!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Misc. don't know where to put this discussion. What do you do with crafts you create?

As an avid painter / crafter I have the same issue this time of year. I live in New England and when the days are shorter and grayer I am not inspired at all. There is nothing that you can do about a creative block other than to know it will be back. Something will inspire you when you least expect it and your creativity will flow.

If you want to try something new go for it. Not sure what kind of crafts you do but certainly you can find something to do - painting, knitting, crochet, jewelry making, card making, scrap booking, quilting, quilling, mosaic art, altered art, water color paint or pencils, stamping to name a few. If you are looking for something to spark your creativity try pinterest. You can search for whatever craft you like and you might see something pop up to inspire you. Also you tube or a walk through the craft store or fabric store are all very good for creative ideas.

I hope you find your creative outlet.

Contributor

Re: Misc. don't know where to put this discussion. What do you do with crafts you create?

I love to craft and create. If you are feeling in a crafting slump I recommend you get a craft that can be easily started, stopped and picked up again when the mood strikes. You might want to go to HSN and look up Anna Griffin's card making kits. They include everything you need to make lots of cards that are cheery and sweet. Even though the kit includes ideas you can certainly make your own choices when putting together the pieces. If you want more embellishments you can make that trip to Micheal's or Hobby Lobby. HTH

Respected Contributor

What have you done before? Is there anything that you think you might like to try? I have beads (!) to make jewelry, yarn to crochet & knit, fabric (!) to sew, card stock with stamps, punches, etc, an embroidery machine with every color of thread. I do love to craft almost as much as I like to buy things to craft with.

Valued Contributor

I know the feeling qualitygal, as I was there just this past fall. I tried drying some oranges to use on our tree in the oven, and on a wreath for year round use. The finished slices smell so good, and looked a lot like stained glass when the tree lights were behind them. They're very easy to work with, as well as store. I also picked up a few dozen pine cones in our yard, cleaned them off, and baked them for use in a garland, wreath, and also on the tree. They were another simple project, long lasting, and working on both these projects was just enough to fill that urge to do something, and yet be done in an afternoon. HTH pinky

Super Contributor

I have been painting "smalls" from resale shops (Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc). Things like mirrors (the frame), picture frames, statues, etc with chalk paint. Sometimes I "age" the items by distressing and using dark wax.

I keep some and the rest I will sell at our housing addition's annual garage sale.

Also have some larger furniture I will paint when the weather is warmer.

Honored Contributor

Usually I have a plan for something before I make it. Right now I am starting a sewing project - I want to learn to guilt so I am making a tote bag to carry my sewing projects to sewing club. I rarely start anything unless I have a reason - iot is too expensive otherwise.

Valued Contributor

I used to love to do crafts, years ago, but I don't like things to look too "crafty" in a home. It's not always easy to find things that don't look too "crafty". I mean, how many pictures can one paint? So many crafts look kind of tacky. Making cards is a good idea, because you use them and they wouldn't pile up. Hope you find something you enjoy, OP.

Trusted Contributor

Have you considered finding a craft you can do for charity -- something that will be useful and beneficial to people in need? I know of groups that make quilts or knit coverlets for people in hospitals and nursing homes, groups that knit caps and layettes for newborns, make jewelry to sell in charity fundraiser stores, etc. Check with local churches and charities to see what opportunities may exist in your area. In addition to making useful items, you'll meet some new friends through the craft groups.

Respected Contributor

I used to create porcelain dolls-body, clothing, porcelain, and have too many on a dresser in spare room. Last year I really got into silk floral both wreaths and tabletop arrangements. Husband asked what I was going to do with all the tubs of supplies. I have kind of lost my zippy de doo so I think more of it is going to the senior center.