Super Contributor

1/29 TSV "cable knit" ....Knitters, does this bother you?

Why are they calling it a cable when it's not? That irks me for some reason. What they keep calling a cable is just garter stitch. Did they think folks would pay more or snap it up quicker by calling cable?
Valued Contributor

Re: 1/29 TSV "cable knit" ....Knitters, does this bother you?

And 100% acrylic. It'll look awful and junky as soon as it's washed. Shame their o/s doesn't take into account those under 5'4"". A real knitter would.
Honored Contributor

I think the cable that they are referring to is the trim across the shoulders. Of course that doesn't make it a cable knit. Yes it is soooooo big I would literally swim in it.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Super Contributor

The rows across the shoulders aren't cables, true, but only a knitter would know what a garter stitch is, so describing them as cables is just a way of describing a row that's distinctive from the rest of the garment. No big deal IMHO.

Honored Contributor

I am a knitter. The first piece I did was a baby cable sweater in size 1 needles that my son wore home from the hospital in 1967. Zoomed in on this and I do not see a garter stitch and you are right the trim across the shoulders is not a cable. Thankx for pointing it out. No biggie but for us long time knitters a little weird.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Super Contributor

I am not a knitter but even I know it is not a cable stitch. I guess cable stitch sounds nicer than garter stitch and it is easier for everyone to comprehend since they've probably heard of that stitch as opposed to a garter stitch.

My bigger problem with the TSV brings back a really bad memory for me when I gained a lot of weight in college. I have a picture of myself wearing a poncho. I thought it would hide my weight gain. Yikes! It made me look like a humongous tentm even bigger than I was. My advice to larger women. Don't.

Super Contributor

Weft knit is what the TSV is and manufactured by a very expensive industrial textile machine far away in China. I haven't seen any of the videos, what, are they trying to give the illusion it was hand-knit by Grandma? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

YES! I love cables, but that's not even close to a cable. They don't need to call it garter stitch, because I do think only a knitter would know that, but a cable... who hasn't seen a cabled sweater before? They should have just called it a detail stitch or something like that.

Cables are so much more time consuming and make something more expensive - garter stitch does and I'd be mad if I thought I was getting a cable and got this, instead. It's a really nice detail and I love that they added the garter stitch stripe, I just don't think they should imply it's something it isn't.

I sure do wish it weren't 100% acrylic. If I put that on, I would generate enough static that I would qualify as a superhero.

Honored Contributor

It does not bother me in the least. This isn't the first time I've heard cable used incorrectly.

Frequently the term ruching is used for a simple gather. Just last week on Project Runway, Isaac M corrected one of the designers for using the term improperly.

Super Contributor

They are wrong about a lot of things. I've heard them say something about the "woven" fabric, that is clearly a knit. "This woven cable running down the front of this sweater is so eye catching." I can't believe how ignorant people trying to sell you something can be. They need to have a lesson or two about textiles, before they try to sell them.