Honored Contributor

What cleanser product/brand do you use to wash latix painted walls in your home?

I am going to be starting to wash walls soon, I usually use borax or something like Mr. Clean to wash my walls, what do you use? I would like something that doesn't need rinsing also. Thanks.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Re: What cleanser product/brand do you use to wash latix painted walls in your home?

Sherwin Williams recommends Spic N Span.

Honored Contributor

Re: What cleanser product/brand do you use to wash latix painted walls in your home?

Thanks lola, off to the store now to pick up or at least look at several brands, Spic & Span being one of them.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I grew up in a house with a coal furnace so I have been washing walls for a very long time. My Mom swore by Spic n Span powdered cleaner. I also always used it. it does a beautifiul job. And when you throw the water away in the sink and see how dirty it is , you will be glad you decided to wash those walls.

Honored Contributor

PS - my Mom also said water as hot as you can stand it and use a rag not a sponge because sponges tend to drip down the wall. And wash the bottom first then the middle then up by the ceiling.

Respected Contributor

Murphy Oil Soap and you don't have to rinse it. It cleans like a dream and is very easy to use. You can buy it in a spray ready to go or you can buy it concentrated and add it to water.

Honored Contributor

On 1/29/2015 Kitlynn said:

Murphy Oil Soap and you don't have to rinse it. It cleans like a dream and is very easy to use. You can buy it in a spray ready to go or you can buy it concentrated and add it to water.

When i took some classes on furniture restoration they were very against using Murphys Oil Soap on anything. They said it leaves an oily residue behind that attracts dirt and makes things dirty again faster. Take it for what it's worth.The class was at the community college so they had no brand affiliation.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of washing walls. Do you wash them as maintenance, like shampooing the carpet?
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/29/2015 graycatsrule said: I've never heard of washing walls. Do you wash them as maintenance, like shampooing the carpet?
Same here. Washing walls? Really? Spic n span on walls? I am intrigued.
Honored Contributor

Usually Spic & Span, but I have used TSP before, too, to prepare the walls/ceiling prior to painting.