Honored Contributor

Speaking of the weather, and things you have to do when power goes out.

Reading all these comments today, reminded me of when we lived in ND, for many, many years. We had power out one time (of many) so bad that we had to pack snow in trash bags, bring it in, melt it on the gas stove, and that's because the tub water was gone, just to flush the toilets. If you're a camper, it helps some, you might be a bit more prepared.

But, does anyone else want to contribute a "power-out" story too, and what or how you coped with it?

Respected Contributor

Re: Speaking of the weather, and things you have to do when power goes out.

I remember when our power went out for 3-4 days during a late December ice storm several years ago. We lived in the country and had a well so when the power went out of course the well pump would not work and we had no water. Luckily we had an above ground pool at the time which wasn't entirely frozen over so we dipped a bucket in the pool and carried the pool water inside to flush the toilets. We also had a fireplace and we all ""camped out"" in the living room and kept feeding the fire to stay warm.

Respected Contributor

Once we had a power outage early evening here. We went out onto out lanai, lit all the candles we have out there and had a nice candlelight swim in our pool before turning in for the night. Hope all of you up north are keeping warm and safe.

Frequent Contributor

We have 2 generators. Smartest purchases we've ever made!
Esteemed Contributor

After Sandy we had a Generac Guardian Standby generator installed. Luckily so far it has only gone on a few times for less than a 1/2 hour. But my brother has one in his home. He has had power outages lasting over a week and the generator has been a God Send.

Esteemed Contributor

A couple of years ago it seemed the power went out every time we sneezed. I finally called our power company and they found a problem in their system. That being said, we broke down during that time and bought a portable generator and it's the best thing we ever did for peace of mind. We were dead in the water without power and our dogs seemed to kind of freak out. What I missed the most was our morning coffee if the power went out during the night.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

We had an ice storm many years ago and I had lost my job. The power was out for 7 days and I had no place to go with four pets. I didn't know at the time that my landline still worked not that it mattered. I put the food outside in a container and stayed in bed under the covers with just candles.

It was horrible, I thought I would freeze to death but I wasn't leaving my dogs. Every now and then we would go sit in the car to warm up. Then the cleanup started by me that was outside, I could barely get out the back door with all the down branches and a hole in the roof.

Contributor

We just have to go out to the garage and start the generator. We live in hurricane country so having a generator is a very good idea. At least enough to run the fridge and a radio and a lamp.

Respected Contributor

Back in the mid 90s, Georgia got an ice storm that paralyzed all of north Georgia and the wind knock tons of trees over the power lines in south Georgia. All of our emergency power company crews headed to Atlanta Metro area to restore power there first. We were without power for 3 weeks waiting our turn to be considered important enough to get power back on. We were in a rural, small town, so we had to wait. The city had gas and limited power, but also had running water, while we are in the county and had nothing. We had a fireplace blower system installed and were using that for the winter to heat the house, so we already had that going with plenty of wood. We also had a hand pump well on the property, so that is how we got water from our well. We cooked on the grill outside and went to town to granny's house when she had water to bath. Other relatives were staying with her because they didn't have a hand pump or fireplaces for heat, so we camped out for 3 weeks.

Today the power doesn't go down for more than a few hours when the storms are bad, but we also have hurricanes and tropical storms to deal with, but fortunately we haven't had a direct or indirect hit in my lifetime. We tend to get the late middle to end of them, so power is out for a day maybe with minimum damage. We are fortunate to have come from a long line of self sufficient people to have the equipment we have and the knowledge of how to continue on without modern conveniences, power being one of them.

Respected Contributor

We keep a very large container of water in the basement for future flushing if the tubs' water gets used up. We also keep drinking/ cooking water in water dispensers in the basement and replenish it to keep it fresh over time. Also, there is an emergency box filled with candles, matches, butane lighters, flame less candles, emergency flashlites, radio, batteries, etc. came in handy during hurricane Sandy when we were without power for almost a week (Philly area).after our neighbor set up his generator on our driveway midway between our houses, we had power for a lamp and portable buffet range for coffee and soup. Now, we have a generator!
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill