Trusted Contributor

Does a futon use regular size sheets or are they a special size

My son has a futon and we have to replace the sheet. Don't know if I can use a twin size or full size or does it have to be titled a futon cover. The ones designated as futon covers seem to be lots more money.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does a futon use regular size sheets or are they a special size

I just use full size sheets on ours. The fitted sheet is a bit big but I just tuck in under the 'mattress' and it works fine. I didn't even realize they made futon sheets but then I've never looked!

Esteemed Contributor

BTW: The futon is the frame. Futon mattresses are usually full or queen and natural colored. If you aren't sure I would guess it's probably a full. The items sold as Futon covers are to protect the futon's mattress -- particularly if the futon is being used as a sofa where there may be eating and drinking going on. If the futon is being used only for sleeping, and never in the upright sofa position, you can bypass the expense of a futon cover and just buy regular bed lines. A regular mattress cover will provide an extra layer of protection for the futon mattress, and regular sheets and comforters fit perfectly well.

Valued Contributor

We have a slipcover with a zipper on ours for everyday "sofa" use. When used as a bed, I put a waterproof mattress pad on it and then use regular full size sheets (one fitted, one flat). I have one of those egg crate toppers I use sometimes for my pickier family members when they visit. Full size sheets still fit even with the topper. So, itsmetoo's comment about tucking in the surplus is a good suggestion.

Trusted Contributor

We have a cotton muslin cover w zipper on ours. I add an egg crate on top covered with quilted mattress cover, then use full size sheets. The sheet is too large but I tuck it under. It isnt slept on often. Its used daily for tv/ video games. I also flip the mattress over when its being slept on, there is an indentation from being used as a couch.
Honored Contributor

Futon mattresses come in twin, full or queen. They are made to be close to the same size as a conventional mattress. Because they are some what "unstructured" they are not going to be exactly they same size - close but not exact. Measure the futon mattress & use standard sheets & a mattress cover - just as you would a mattress. As stated previously, you will have to tuck some of the excess - today's sheets are made for the deep, pillowtop mattresses.