Honored Contributor

Need help for stains on vintage china

I inherited a Johnson Brothers Merry Christmas punch bowl set that belonged to my grandmother. I think it's from the early 1900's, and it might have come with her from England. It has been used to hold a plant, but with the plant in a regular plastic pot already. Now it has brownish stains around the bottom part of the bowl. I scrubbed it gently and used my trick of soaking it in warm water mixed with automatic dishwashing detergent. It helped a little, but there are still some stains left. Can anyone help?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Need help for stains on vintage china

From Kovels Komments:

1) Efferedent--let solution soak in china overnight

2) Baking soda--wet a cloth, dip it in baking soda and rub. Baking soda is non abrasive

3) Mixture of baking soda and cream of tartar--same procedure as above

From Yankee Magazine:

1) Mixture of lemon juice and salt. Rub on with a damp cloth and rinse. Do not use hot water, as that may craze the glaze.

2) Mixture of vinegar and salt.

3) Wet piece with vinegar. Dampen a cloth with water, dip it in baking soda or salt and swab out the stain.

4) Apply 20% hydrogen peroxide. Wash and rinse.

Hope one of these helps.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2015 wismiss said:

From Kovels Komments:

1) Efferedent--let solution soak in china overnight

2) Baking soda--wet a cloth, dip it in baking soda and rub. Baking soda is non abrasive

3) Mixture of baking soda and cream of tartar--same procedure as above

From Yankee Magazine:

1) Mixture of lemon juice and salt. Rub on with a damp cloth and rinse. Do not use hot water, as that may craze the glaze.

2) Mixture of vinegar and salt.

3) Wet piece with vinegar. Dampen a cloth with water, dip it in baking soda or salt and swab out the stain.

4) Apply 20% hydrogen peroxide. Wash and rinse.

Hope one of these helps.

TY wismiss! I'll let you know how I make out! Smile

Super Contributor

Congrats on receiving the punch bowl set beach-mom! It sounds very nice, can you take pics when you are finished with the rehab? Would love to see it

Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2015 whitelinen said:

Congrats on receiving the punch bowl set beach-mom! It sounds very nice, can you take pics when you are finished with the rehab? Would love to see it

I have to learn how to post pics here. I'll have one of my children help me! I'm still working on it - using the baking soda paste. Most of it is off, but I have one side left. Will tackle that today! Smile

Valued Contributor

The Efferdent tablets mentioned above may help. Whatever you use, it will have to sit on it for probably about a day. You could try a paste of regular Oxyclean. I use the powdered, and make a paste out of it, with very little water. I hope you can fix it.

If you use the Efferdent tablets, fill the bowl with water to above the stain line, and use several tablets.

Honored Contributor

I've been working on it for three days now. One inch of the stain to go!!! It's been the baking soda paste and a LOT of scrubbing with a Dobie sponge. Last night I did the automatic detergent again and let it sit overnight. That seems to loosen the crustiness some. Smile

ETA: Success!!! I finished tonight. Thank you for recommending the baking soda and water wismiss. That worked! whitelinen - I'll get DD to help me with pics tomorrow night and (hopefully learn to) post them here! Anniecamp - if the baking powder paste didn't get that last rough part out, I was going to try Oxyclean - I have that.

Valued Contributor

Congratulations beach mom! How nice to have been able to restore such a lovely piece and memory of your family.