Respected Contributor

Changing Bi-Fold Doors to French Doors

I live in a condo. The closet doors are the old, standard metal bi-fold doors. The bi-fold door to my linen closet keeps going off-track. When I had new flooring installed in my hallway, and the bi-fold doors were removed and re-installed, somehow one of the screws that runs along the upper track got lost. The only way I could close the right-side door was to lift it up as I ran it along the track. Well, today the whole right-side door is loose. I'm household challenged, so I'm going to need to get help from someone in my building to at least get the right-side door closed.

I'm thinking of replacing the old bi-fold doors with French Doors. Have any of you done this? I have a hand and arm disability, so I can't do it myself. So I'll have to hire a handyman to do this for me. I'm just sick and tired of the door not working.

I'm also thinking of redoing the shelving in the linen closet. I have to store some kitchen items and cleaning supplies in this closet, as I don't have room for them anyplace else. I've purged some things, and need to do more. Any suggestions?

Super Contributor

Re: Changing Bi-Fold Doors to French Doors

Im pretty sure you can fix the bifold and save yourself a lot of money. French doors would not fold so they would take up a lot of room when opened. Are these any of the pieces you are missing? http://t.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Door-Knobs-Hardware-Closet-Pocket-Door-Hardware-Bi-...
Honored Contributor

I agree with luvthatboxer. I think you could find someone to fix it for you. French doors would take up a tremendous amount of room when they're open.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Wow - what a coincidence -we just did this last week! My husband is a carpenter though so ""we"" did it ourselves. I am very pleased with the outcome.

Esteemed Contributor

Since others have commented on French Doors being too large - I agree with them. Bi-Fold style is still your best bet - however- may I suggest getting new Bi-Fold doors in WOOD (not metal - agree metal is awful). When I rented years ago, the hallway had a huge double closet for ironing board - brooms - vacuum clean & linens. The wood Bi-Fold doors were the 'shutter' style.....not solid plank wood.

Shutter is like those on the outside of houses which frames the windows. Loved that closet - wish I had one in my home! Hire a carpenter and he'll have it installed in a wink.

Good Luck

Honored Contributor

We had the same problem with bifold doors on our 2 master bedroom closets. DH fixed them so many times he finally took them completely off. I was not having that permanently so he installed doors that slide side to side one behind the other. They are perfect for the application, though I guess normally this is not seen in a bedroom. It is working perfectly for us. when they are closed they actually look almost the same as the bifold doors did - both are 6 panel doors on each side. You can get them at Home Depot and maybe they have someone who can install them for you. they are sold as pantry doors and are wood painted white.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all your comments. I appreciate the Home Depot link. I can see one of the pieces I'm missing in the 2-door repair kit. When I get to Home Depot next time, I'll pick up a kit, and hire our maintenance person to fix the door for me. Maybe I should pick up two kits, because now I'm having problems with the left door. A friend in the building (a woman who is very handy) came in with her ladder, and she was able to get the right door back on track, and closed. However, when we tried to open the door, it came off track again. So I told her to close it, and I'll get someone to fix it Monday or Tuesday.

Respected Contributor

I have always hated those bifold doors! Had them in my last two homes and they were awful. Thankfully, don't have any in this new home. Hopefully you can find a handyperson to help with some new doors.

Honored Contributor

I'll bet when they reinstalled the track for the doors, they put it down too low. You might need to get the track reinstalled for the doors to work correctly again.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau