Contributor

Cat scratches on leather couch

I love my cat but he has scratched my brown leather couch.

Is there any product/technique/color touch-up you can recommend.

Thank you kindly.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cat scratches on leather couch

I don't know of anything that will remove the holes or other damage. Sorry. Have you provided a variety of cat scratching posts? Some of my cats like the upright ones and some prefer the S shaped ones that lay on the ground.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I had that happen to my leather recliner when it was new. We were bottle feeding to kittens the mother cat left behind. Long story short one of the kittens scratched my recliner. I was so mad. Mine was just a surface scratch that happened when the kitten fell off the recliner not where she tired to use it as a scratching post. I called the place we bought it from & they said they could get me some touch up paint. They never did so I looked up the manufacturer online & called them & told them what happened. The guy I talked to said he was not supposed to do this but he sent me a small bottle of touch up paint the same color as our leather furniture since the dealer that sold it to us was not taking care of business. It's a small bottle but should last us for years. since it only takes a small amount. You could call the place to bought it to see if they would you get you a touch up kit or call the manufacturer like I did. I use Leather Masters leather cleaner & conditioner on our furniture & they make a tube of stuff called scratch away. It's for Aniline leather. Don't know what type leather your furniture is. I have never used it. http://shop.unitersna.com/collections/leather-master/products/scratch-away More info here. http://homeguides.sfgate.com/there-ways-scratches-out-leather-furniture-93062.html You can also search leather re-coloring balm.

Contributor

Jaxs mom

Yes we do have several scratching posts which he does use.

Contributor

Nightowlz

Thank you for the suggestion I will contact the manufacturer.

I already contacted the store I purchased it from but had no response.

Respected Contributor

We use matching shoe polish, the kind in the can. Rubbed it on, and then off. fills in the holes pretty good. There are also crayons you can buy for the purpose. I would be willing to try anything of the same color, for the purpose, let it dry some, and rub it off. We debated a long time before buying leather, for that very reason. Good luck!

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

I have found that shoe polish eventually comes off. What has worked for me is permanent marker. Go to Staples. They have a large supply of permanent markers in a rainbow of colors (I know, no brown in the rainbow). Be sure to get one with a fairly fine point that can get right into the scratch. After touching up, I go over the whole area with leather conditioner to work it in really well and sort of "set" the touch-up. This has worked great for me, and it's not a messy undertaking.
Super Contributor

Thank you for this thread and info. I needed it for my newer leather sectional!

Esteemed Contributor

I have the same problem from my dog jumping up on my leather sofa (and her nails are always trimmed). I have checked YouTube and they have many videos on how to help with this. Many are amazingly easy!