Respected Contributor

Joining Twin Mattresses Opinions

My husband is insisting we replace our king size mattress; he says it is creating his back issues. (Not really true, but I am sure it isn't helping them.) Our mattress is not that old and is a quality mattress. The problem is that because of his weight it has started sagging on his side, a real indentation. I have tried to remedy this with a good quality mattress topper, but it hasn't helped much. He now has taken over my side of the bed and I have to sleep in the indent or else on the couch.

He sees all these ads about the adjustable beds and wants to try that and I am just not sure we should go that route. I am thinking of getting two twin mattresses and placing them onto our split king box springs. The advantage is we can flip these periodically and if he creates another indent then we just replace one mattress.

Anyone ever done this? All opinions welcome.

Thanks a bunch.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Joining Twin Mattresses Opinions

Here you go

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/instant-king-twin-bed-bridge/1012184352

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

On 1/21/2015 betteb said:

Here you go

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/instant-king-twin-bed-bridge/1012184352

Thanks betteb. I remember back probably 45 or so years, my Aunt using something like that to unify her mattresses. I don't even know if they had king size mattresses when she used it.

I am more wondering about whether my idea of utilizing two twins instead of a king is sensible or do people think it would be a bad plan of action.

Contributor

We just recently purchased 2 twin adjustable extra long mattresses and liked being able to adjust to our own preferences, but didn't Like the space between the two beds. We replaced it with a King 30 days later and is a much better fit for us. Two twins feel like you're in your own bed. I would test them out quite a bit before purchasing.
Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a great idea. The only thing is, it's not that easy to find a flipable mattress anymore, and when you do, it's spendy. I think the manufacturers want you to replace your mattress sooner. Still, just replacing one as it wears out sounds like a good solution.

The only other option that would really work, I would think, is a Sleep Number Bed. My sister loves her's, but again, very spendy.

I bought a new mattress set not long ago in twin. It's just me and I wanted the floor space in my room, rather than a bigger bed.

I went with a mid price range, firmer, non pillowtop and added a thick, fluffy down alternative topper.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

For years we had an Ethan Allen headboard that was designed to handle two twin mattresses, which could swing out for changing the sheets and swing back together. I loved it. We bought two twin sheets for the mattresses, and a king size top sheet. About every three or four months we would switch the mattresses. It was a thoroughly efficient system, and we really liked it. When we changed bedroom furniture, that style was no longer available, and we were very disappointed. I think you'd like it a lot. We did.

Honored Contributor

I think it's a great idea. The only thing is, it's not that easy to find a flipable mattress anymore, and when you do, it's spendy. I think the manufacturers want you to replace your mattress sooner. Still, just replacing one as it wears out sounds like a good solution.

The only other option that would really work, I would think, is a Sleep Number Bed. My sister loves her's, but again, very spendy.

I bought a new mattress set not long ago in twin. It's just me and I wanted the floor space in my room, rather than a bigger bed.

I went with a mid price range, firmer, non pillowtop and added a thick, fluffy down alternative topper.

What about your beloved feline companion, BB? I'm gonna tell her what you wrote, LOL.

I hope to buy a twin XL set myself (I'm 5'8"), which should mean closer cuddling and cozier snuggling with my next kitty.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/22/2015 feline groovy said:

What about your beloved feline companion, BB? I'm gonna tell her what you wrote, LOL.

I hope to buy a twin XL set myself (I'm 5'8"), which should mean closer cuddling and cozier snuggling with my next kitty.

LOL She knows. She's on the bed now, in my spot. When I go to bed, she will move and then once I lay down, she will curl up on top of me{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

Next time I get married.......I want separate bedrooms. Actually, separate houses would be ideal..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/22/2015 Desertdi said:

Next time I get married.......I want separate bedrooms. Actually, separate houses would be ideal..............

HAHAHAHA.....That's how I felt...so I moved out.....HAHAHA.....